Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woah! Yamaha takes hi-tech route!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's the new Yamaha RBX-775 , and after seeing the pics, I'm really GASsing for one! :eek:

It seems to have interesting headstock design, some cap-like thing over trussrod access at the body end of the neck, 35" scale, stacked 2-band EQ with couple odd switches, monorail-style bridge..

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    To quote my best friend's very Jewish mother:

I think I just plotzed! :D

I feel in "like" after seeing Dream Theater's John Myung playing a six-string prototype of the new RBX in March. These photos have made me fall in love.

After checking a currency converter, the 775 should list in the $600-$700 dollar range in the US. Yamaha's attempt at a "BTB killer," perhaps?

3. That looks very nice. If they are in the $600 range, I'll trade in my current Yamaha 5 string in on one of those.

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Just checked my local webstore, the price is.. $650. This is in Europe, mind you, it might be few bucks less in the States.

It definetly looks like it's directed against latest Ibani models. It might be just what I need in fretted bass for tapping/slapping/etc.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    That looks quite snazzy actually. I must admit to have been looking at the John Myung signature series Yammy as a possible contender for my venture into six strings!! It gets a good review from players, and is in a very interesting price range - mine, possibly!:)

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    [​IMG]

it looks really really cool. and if those pickups sound good or are the same size of bartolini or EMG this could be a bass to die for.

i am not in metal nor myung or dream theater but this one is really interesting.

hope to see that bass instores and try one asap!

7. I really didn't like the John Myung sig 6 string. The string spacing was really tight. That, other than the "interesting" inlay :rolleyes:, was the only thing I didn't like.

I really dig my current Yamaha 5 string, but this looks really interesting. I hope my local store gets one.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nah - looks very cheap and "plasticy" to me - sort of like an answer to recent Ibanez basses.

I hate the way these things look - give me nice wood grain any day!!

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Agree on the plastic look. A local dealer suggested he call Yamaha and check for fretless-ness when I asked for a 35" fretless, but I told him not to bother after seeing the body shape and finish. Looks like its one of those injection-molded thingies...

Wood grain for me too!

10. Does anybody know what the width at the nut and the string spacing at the bridge might be?

11. I had a quick go on a 4 string in a local music shop. There's a stupid bit of plastic bolted to the bottom of the neck that'll stop any slap players dead in their tracks. You can probably remove it, but it'll leave 4 nice big holes in the body.

12. Well, for once I'm with Brucie :eek:

I'm a big Yammy fan and I like most solid colours on basses, but this just looks too space-agey for my taste.

I think it's the sort of bass that robots play, not people.....if that makes sense.

John

13. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    it looks like an ltd-esp or some such plasticky garbage... and that plastic type stuff weighs more than wood! it all sounds kind of processed to me, for lack of a better word...:confused:

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It looks Ibanezish to me.

15. Looks like a cross between the ESP LTD B-series and an Ibanez BTB. Recessed controls are schwank. We'll see how it sounds.

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    At the other end of the spectrum...
    [​IMG]

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Although this is the only Yamaha (and six-string, for that matter) that I have eyes for:
    [​IMG]

18. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Whoa. '80s flashback.

19. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    looks like plastic... I'm not down with that... but looks aren't everything.. maybe its the best sounding bass in the world

20. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    As I stated above, I like the high-tech look and features of the bass (don't get me wrong, however - I love a nice figured piece of wood as much as the next bassist), but I e-mailed Yamaha to clear up some confusion about the control layout - this is the answer I recieved:

"The RBX775 has a master volume, a master tone, a pickup selector switch, and a toggle switch(mid boost)."

Pickup selector switch? PICKUP SELECTOR SWITCH!?! :confused:

Who do they think we are, guitarists!?!

Oh well, at least there's aftermarked pickups and preamps. I stil dig the body shape, and if the neck is anything like the current RBX 5-ers it'll be perfect for me.