Wobbly 1/4" insert

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zombi3, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Zombi3

Nov 15, 2005
    In the past two weeks, i've felt a strange wobbly motion on the part of my bass where you plug the 1/4" cable into. The jack is inside of a metal 'cup', which is inside the body of the bass. Those of you with Fender Vintage '51 Precisions know what i'm talking about. Anyways, i'm worrying that it's getting progressively loose, and won't be good when it finally does get as far as it can go. Anyone have any advice on fixing the wobbly-factor or should I just take it to my resident Hot Licks to get looked at?
  2. didier

Aug 4, 2005
    is there ia wide nut on the outside of the jack, that holds it tight to the cup? Check to see if that is what is coming lose, if it is you can just tighten it yourself. It might be worth opening the cup to see if there's a nut inside, too
  3. Zombi3

Nov 15, 2005

That's what i'm talking about right there. The nut in the middle seems to twist and move a lot, and so does the cup.
  4. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Just tighten down the nut. That should alleviate any problems.

THe easiest way to do that is to get inside of the electronics cavity, and hold the opposite side of the input while you use whatever tools you have to tighten it down. Looks like you won't be able to get a wrench or a socket in there, so you might have to use needle nose pliers.