Wohoo! Got a new gadget!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Hey Mr. Potato Head.

Made you a nice Iceland Avatar to remind you to take out you wallet and buy a ticket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thor

2. Hee-Hee! :D

I actually have plans for the rest of the summer, but, I may go at Christmas time, get loaded in a pub and then wander off and get lost in a blizzard! :D

Silly am I. Thanks for the avatar, Thor. ;)

Mike

3. Thor

I happen to know the station manager at Icelandair at Kennedy.

They have taken to discontinuing NY flights later in the fall, and start back up in April.

The rates go up double June 1 or so and go back
    in early Sept.

Both May and September offer very nice weather there, and lower rates for accomodations, which generally are just the other side of onerous.

Beer and liquor is stupidly expensive.

But it is a nice trip.

Thor

4. Thanks for the info. :)

Mike

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    congrats!! :smug:

6. Wow dude...the land looks awsome there,very quiet and peaceful, great camera too...the pictures are crystal clear!

I wanna goto Iceland:(

-Jon:oops:

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm...

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks for all the nice comments! :eek: :)

I´ve really been having fun with my camera. I went for a drive yesterday and snapped of the following pics. They are from an old fish drying facility. The cod is hung on these wooden structure for 3-4 months so it dries up. It´s then exported to Africa for example.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The webpage where these pictures are!

8. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

Jun 1, 2003
    Orlando, FL

i bet that place stinks hardcore :smug:

9. Thor

Smells like money, dude!

You can make good cash in that biz.
    It's putting 2 kids thru college for me.
    Don't knock it too hard.
    ----------

Ivar, nice shot of Botnsdalur!
    [ link on Pic 16 does note work, though ]
    On the menu of the camera you can adjust the picture size so the will come out at about 60 kb, they call it 'e-mail' size.

Guys, note Keilir is actually a classically
    shaped volcanic cone. Perfect.

Thor

10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Pic 16 works now, the ISP was a bit dodgy just now.

Yup, I´ve read about that e-mail size thingy. But pictures lose quality in the process and I did not want to compromise that much, even here. :)

11. I have a tip for you. I work at a company that manufactures and sells memory (including compact flash). The Nikon Coolpix series is a little picky about the kind of CF cards it uses, you should make sure when you go to buy a new card (if you do) that it is SLC or, Single-Layer-Cell. The memory controller on the Coolpix cameras does not generally like MLC cards (Multi-Layer-Cell). Just a heads up.

BTW, nice camera, and beautiful pictures!

12. Wow! Iceland is soo different from Maryland,USA...

I wanna move:meh:

they have all that neat stuff there you only see in pop music videos here:)

-Jon:oops:

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I have a Coolpix 2600 and its not bad. I paid like $199 for it.

Pics get blurry without the flash indoors but other than that its not bad. I only use it for taking pics of the nephews when they come to visit or for putting stuff on ebay *lol* I used it to take pics of myself for my personal photoshops and it worked pretty well.

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The reason that happens is that the camera is continually adjusting itself to the light conditions. You can get great non-flash pictures indoors with poor light but the subject has to remain very, very still.
    I don't like flash because it washes the features and color right out of some things. My kids are trained to SIT STILL!

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Also a tripod or steadying the camera against something helps a LOT. I got this little fold up tripod called "Ultrapod" from campmor.com that is very handy. Fits in a little pocket on my camera case and it can either strap to a pole or something with the strap attached to it or you can fold the legs out. It's come in very handy and I credit it for some good pictures with my Canon Powershot A70.

Ultrapod

brad cook

16. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Well I have a 2 year old nephew and a 6 month old nephew. They won't sit still so flash is necessary for them :) But when taking pics myself, I tend to shake for some reason when I hold the camera so they blur a bit.

Will any full size tripod fit this camera or do I need to know the thread size?

17. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Just about any tripod and head for a normal 35mm SLR camera, nearly all digicams etc. will do nicely. It´s the same thread size for all of them.

The main reason for your blurred pictures indoors is that in auto mode, besides adjusting the focus, the camera is also auto adjusting itself to the light conditions. With poor light, even with the flash on, it is not uncommon to see the camera go down to 1/30sec exposure. It may seem small but it can cause alot of blurriness if the hand and the subjects aren´t rock steady. The most common speed for indoor shooting with decent light is 1/60sec, but even with that the pics can get a bit blurred if the hand is not steady. The easiest solution is to brighten the room up a bit if it is possible.

I bought this tripod when I bought my camera.
    Manfrotto 190 ProB
    [​IMG]

It is a very cool tripod which has helped me alot.

But referring to the first subject of blurred pictures. I have found that increased camera mass reduces blurring. It is easier to hold a bit heavier item still then a light one.

If you took a look at the tripod I bought, you´ll probably notice that it does not have a head in order to attach the camera to.

For that, I bought this head:
    Manfrotto 484rc2 head
    [​IMG]

What makes this head great is the quick release plate. I always have the plate screwed on the camera which gives it more mass which helps me reducing blurriness.
    It is also very good just to be able to snap the camera on the tripod in 2 seconds.

Edit:
    There are also techniques which you can use to further steady the image on your own. For example, try to get your elbows as close to the sides of your body as you can to stabilize your hands.
    Another thing is, have a firm grip with your right hand, but do not squeese the bejeebuz out of it, too tight grip can lead to hand shaking. Use two fingers of your left hand (thumb and index or middle finger) to get a grip on the lense, not matter how small it is. I find that it helps to stabilize things a bit.
    /edit

For all you photography nuts and newbies here, I specifically recommend two sites:
    DP Review. The nr.1 source for digital camera reviews and discussions
    DP Challenge. Fun, online digital photo contest. Be sure to read the rules very carefully :)

Well, have fun! :)

18. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks for the tip.

I did not know this when I bought the camera and the CF card :)

I bought a Kingston standard 256mb CF card, apparently it is MLC, but so far so good :)

19. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Is that just the coolpix series, or does it also apply to Nikon's digital SLR bodies? I ask because our school's newspaper has a few D1X/H bodies and they said they've been having some trouble where the CF cards just get erased while they are being used. I never had trouble with the D100 I use, but I don't know if we were using the same type of CF card or not.

20. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Ivar, just had to comment on your avatar... - Lo Bob... You have pie?

*whee!*

*if that didn't make any sense, go to
    http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/