1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wohooo! Got me a P Bass off CL! (lots of pics... and lots of text)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PCR, Apr 12, 2010.

1. This bass looks sweet .

2. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    Getting close!

The nitro is dried, and one last round of polish w/ a coat of Virtuoso (I swear the stuff is just Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax. Looks the same, feels the same, and smells the same).

I tried to capture the difference before and after, the lacquer over-coat. I taped off the lower part of the neck. The pale part shows the standard MIM satin neck finish. The lower part is now naturally aged and glossy.

4532478809_e3d14ea8b9_o.

And, I just finished soldering up my harness:
    1 x Switchcraft Jack
    1 x Sprague Orange Drop 0.047uf Cap
    2 x CTS 250K Audio Pot (Tone No Load Modified)

I use gold bullet connectors on all my harnesses. Makes it much easier to solder and install, plus it makes changing pups a snap.

4533323966_db23645632_o.

Just a few more hours of work.... so close I can hear it.

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

3. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    Here it is; I'm finally done.

It plays pretty good. I may get the thing re-fretted one of these days, but for now, it plays a lot better than a $250 bass (that's about how much I have into it).

It looks and plays good, and I had a lot of fun doing this. Now, if I can just figure out how to make recordings on my computer.....

Thanks for all the support and props!

For full pics set: Click Here

4553076344_436fe9ed22. 4552437197_9e264da177.
    4552437101_1878bb43b8. 4552437289_c80ffd5d00.
    4552437079_510ce2a47e. 4552437041_3afc1ac900.
    4552437125_e230933ca6. 4553076270_3894214da2.

4. jgparm

jgparm

Sep 27, 2007
    Southern Missouri
    Wow. Great work!

5. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    jgparm: thx. I'm in West Chester PA too!

6. jgparm

jgparm

Sep 27, 2007
    Southern Missouri
    Very cool! I found my P on our local CL, too:

P4123927.
    P4123970_2.

7. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    Great pic!

I've been reading the Picture Tips on the first page. It has really improved my pictures. Haven't ventured into anything artistic yet.

I really like the way you set up the pic.

8. jgparm

jgparm

Sep 27, 2007
    Southern Missouri
    Thanks. I learned a lot from looking at Dark Horse's pics. Really cool and creative stuff.

9. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    Send it to me, I'll record it for you! :D

Excellent job! I bet that's a fun bass!

10. looks sweet bolted and strung :)

now go play!

11. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Great Job! I like to do the same thing when I get a new (used) bass. Strip it down and make it as new as possible. You are a bit more daring with re-painting the neck!

Auto polish is GREAT for guitars. You can use the polishing compound to clean up the paint and a good polish for the shine. I bought a smaller 5" orbital polisher that works just great for the instruments. I use Zaino polymer show car polish - it is simply the best for cars AND Guitars.

I have also been appalled at the condition that some people let their instruments get to. It is beyond me.

12. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    that's a real beauty!!!!!!!

13. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA
    Sponsored Artist: Free Idea Clothing
    I have that same bass. The only difference is the Squier logo on mine. Pretty cool.

14. very cool. :bassist:

15. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    That looks great! I really dig what you did with the neck!

16. do NOT allow the terrorists to obtain this technology, or society as we know it is finished!

4533323966_db23645632_o.

:p

17. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008

Thanx. The neck turned out a lot better than I expected.

Trust me when I say, I'm the worlds WORST painter. But, you really can't mess up w/ Minwax Lacquer. The key to shooting with lacquer is to give the lacquer at least 3 days (or longer) to set up before polishing.

I started shooting Minwax Lacquer over my 57 AVRI Strat headstock, because Fender doesn't clear coat over decales on their Reissues. Over time, those decales chip and wear off.

When I got this bass, I noticed that the Fender logo was nicked a little. So I gave the headstock face a light sanding, and taped the side of the head off and gave it a squirt with a can of Lacquer that I had in the cabinet.

My orginal plan was to just polish the rest of the neck. But when I pulled the tape off, the difference between the rest of the neck and the face was dramatic. The wood grain just jumped out. So I just sanded the rest of the neck, to smooth out a few nicks, taped the fret board and did the entire neck.

Then I read the back of the can, and noticed the 'not recommended with polyurethane'! LOL Oh well, too late now! I think this warning has more to do with the brush lacquer. Plus, I gave the neck a good sanding. Worst case is that I strip the entire neck and re-shoot it.

18. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    chuck3: LOL

The secret is all in the Chinese Takeout container; you have to order the General Taos Chicken (extra spicy).

Don't tell anybody, or we will all be gonners. :bag: