Wolf tones/buzz

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sundance, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Sundance

Jul 24, 2004
    I play a Peavey Cirrus 5 string fretless with the fret markers, owned it for about 2 years I think, bought it used but in really new condition. Lately, I've been getting lots of dead tones isolated to the upper part of my bass, around the 15th fret, but present in a lot more places further up, especially on the D and A strings. There isn't much trouble on the outside B and G strings, but more on the middle three, with the most trouble, like I said, on the D and A. The room where I keep the bass in has very low (below 30%, my stat doesn't go read lower than that and it's winter here in Maryland) humidity; I think the problem started getting noticable a few weeks ago, which was coincidentally when I moved the bass from a more humid environment.

Anyway, I asked a few reputable people where I could go to get the problem diagnosed, but most of the people I know sadly didn't know many places besides the bigger music stores in the area (not just Guitar Center, but nothing I didn't know about before). The exception to this was a college jazz guitar teacher who had been in the area for five years and heavily recommended a guy who was a short distance away. So I called the guy after calling the music stores and having them tell me they would take a few days on fixing the problem even if it was a little problem, and he said he would look at the bass and be able to fix it in a day if it wasn't too challenging a problem. I took the bass to him, he looked at it, seemed pretty knowledgeable about the setup and wood used to build it, could identify the fretboard wood by smell etc, said he'd built some fretless basses before. He diagnosed the problem as the wood at the end of the neck having risen a few thousandths of an inch for some reason, as well as the fret markers sticking out a little. He sanded the marker problem off with a nail file, since they're just plastic, and said that he'd need a day to sand it with a heavy sander more since the fretboard is hard rosewood. The nail file sanding did seem to help the buzzes.

I took the bass home with me that day because I had a jam session that night that I needed it for a jam session and told the guy I'd bring it back to him the next day, but the next day he called and said that he couldn't get around to it after all and I should bring it in next week (which is now this week). On hearing this, I decided to check my other options, so I called the better music retail repair shop in the area (which isn't a light reputation, given the area I'm in is Baltimore, but of course that means it is a fairly commercial shop as well). The repair guy over the phone said that it would take him a few days to set the bass up otherwise, and when I told him about the other guy's diagnosis, the repair guy said that sanding the bass was a horrible idea and that he could fix the problem, whatever it was, or no one could at all. This was still over the phone, btw. However, my car decided that that day was a good day have a coolant leaking problem and now I can't easily get to anyone who can fix the bass, and haven't had the retail repair shop take a look at it yet. I'm pretty much out of options, I used up all of the sources that I trust for getting information, so those two repairer people I mentioned are about all I'm left with. So what are you peoples' opinions? Like I said, I live near Baltimore (Towson to be precise) and wouldn't mind driving to southern Pennsylvania or Washington, DC at the farthest to get the bass fixed if anyone knows any good technicians in that area. Time is an issue here too, mostly because I hate to be away from my bass for even more than a few hours, but it doesn't look like I have a whole lot of choice there. Thanks

PS I haven't tried fiddling with the truss rod yet, but everyone I've asked said that that isn't the problem.