Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wolf Tones

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by dthorpe, Jan 1, 2002.

1. dthorpe

dthorpe

Jul 3, 2001
    Moorhead, MN
    I recently bought an entry level upright ($1700) and I have some questions about the wolf tones and how to deal with them. I had a bass instructor play the instrument for me at the store and he found a wolf (he said slight) on G# on the A string. No big deal. But,when I had new strings and an adjustable bridge put on I then had a wolf at the note B on the A string and the E string. One question I have is about the positioning of the sound post. Could the luthier have altered that enough to move the wolf? I put a wolf eliminator on each of the two affected strings and that has helped some. At least the wolf is now closer to the B flat. Any thoughts or resources you can point me at? I'm considering looking for another luthier to take a look at it. I'm about 3 hours from Minneapolis so I could look there if I can find someone. At this point I can live with what I have but if there are other things I can try, I'd be open to them. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Dave

2. Frozen Fergus....I would suggest having Mike Smith take a look at it. He is in St. Paul. His phone #651.647.1148. Mike is a very good luthier and bass player. He has subbed with the Minnesota Orchestra and others.

Mark

3. dthorpe

dthorpe

Jul 3, 2001
    Moorhead, MN
    Thanks for the number. I'll be calling him this weekend.