1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wolfgang Van Halen

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bassiswild, Aug 27, 2007.

1. I heard last week that Wofgang VH was taking over the bass duties for his dads bands. I think that is awesome. According to Eddie Wolfgang is as good at every instrument as he is.

I am disappointed that Wolfgang is not working on his own band. Then again have the chance to go out with a legendary band such as Van Halen.

So what are your thoughts about Wolfgang Van Halen and him joining up with his Dad and Uncle. Should be a cool journey for all of them.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sucks. Wolfgang may be a great player and I'm sure he'll have a lot of fun with his pops and uncle, but Michael Anthony is the bass player for Van Halen.

3. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    A cool journey, with Valerie Bertinelli coming along to keep an eye on Wolfie?
    :eek:
    :cool: not!

But it will be good stage experience for young Wolfie. I'm a little concerned about what he might learn about mommy and daddy, though...

How'd ya like to be David Lee Roth on this trip??? :eek:

4. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why not give him a chance of go out and play some bass and have a good time. The band is Van Halen after all might as well have a real Van Halen's playing each chair in the band.

5. They just need a Van Halen vocalist to complete the lineup. :meh: I do think that Mad Anthony got the shove off. Hopefully Valarie will not be going along on tour. That would torture Wolfie, Eddie and Dave lol. One big happy umm err family... :eyebrow:

6. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Yeah, I'm not too excited about it...with MA there's one essential VH ingredient that's completely out of the picture! And who will cover his essential live role as backup singer??

7. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    If I was the Edster, I'd just hire a couple of slinky vocalist chicks for the harmonies.

8. Eminentbass

Eminentbass

Jun 7, 2006
    South Africa
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Amps and Sandberg Basses.
    And then get the wife on stage with a tambourine... Oh wait, that's Spinal Tap... my bad :)

9. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I think Bassiswild IS Wolfgang! Prove you are not! :mad:

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The fact that they are using pre-recorded backup vocals shows that Wolfie isn't up to the task of replacing Mike. I hope Wolfgang the best, though. Growing up with that basketcase for a dad must be tough.

Playing along with tapes is something pop starlets do, not a supposed rock band. Of course, this is a joke of a band at this point, anyway, IMHO. I'd rather see Sammy and Mike live--I bet it'd be more entertaining, and I wouldn't have to feel dirty giving them money.

11. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    If I want to hear prerecorded music in a "live" setting I'll go see DEPECHE MODE!!! Rock n Roll needs to be LIVE as far as I'm concerned. Watching "Van Halen" play with backing tapes and click tracks (due to Alex's inability to keep a straight beat) is not something I'm going to be doing.

Sammy and Mike live will be way more entertaining and fun.:D

12. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    To me the VH sound was the awesome high harmonies...

Let see Wolfie suck back a 26er and still play :D I know I can't.

13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Regardless of how good (or bad) Wolfie might be, this (booting Michael Anthony) is something they're going to look back on, years from now, and probably regret. :(

BTW, I was told that it's not just backing (vocal) tracks live. It's the actual backing vocal tracks (i.e. Michael Anthony). :eek:

14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Regret is something that has never been the strong suit of either DLR, AVH, or EVH. Dave will go back to his Vegas schtick, Alex will complain about his neck for decade or so more, and Eddie will ruin his new brand-new pearly whites by smoking like a longshoreman again (could be caps, but they were looking pretty bad a few years ago I'm thinking entire replacements on pegs.)

I actually see this as a positive in the situation - if they're using MA's actual voice, they owe MA actual money. Better use his tracks, give the audience a better time, and *pay* Michael Anthony than use a sound-alike. VH in it's current state and since it's been from the '04 tour onward isn't worth MA's time and attention, and he deserves better than to get thrown under the tourbus and have to sign away part of his share simply to tour. :scowl:

"Cool journey" my bunghole. The kid's just over 16. He should be taking an SAT prep course rather than getting a venereal disease with Dad, Uncle Al, and some creepy guy that used to be in the band. This is simply further proof than Ed has a complex about the "greatness" of his family name and wouldn't hire a session/touring pro... wait, "hire" means" "pay". Nevermind.

Is Valerie too distracted by her Jenny Craig spokesperson spot to let her son go on tour? With this group?!?

15. cloudermilk

cloudermilk Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    What's up with pre-recorded vocals these days? I can see triggering sounds but not vocals. I saw Rush a few weeks ago and they absolutely tore it up but they too had pre-recorded vocals (an extra Geddy!).

There's no substitute for Michael Anthony.

16. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    What she should have done was put Wolfgang on Jenny Craig with her. A 16 year old kid should not be that big. That is really unhealthy and it will only get worse as he gets older.

17. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Suposedly they're taking Michael Anthony's name off of all the old song credits too. I'm sure Eddie was responsible for the bulk of the music (even though all band members are credited), but I'm wondering how they can do this after the fact. :meh:

18. that press conference was cringeworthy- but this parody is brilliant-

harsh on Wolfie, but very funny :D

19. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    Can't you just hear the conversations that are going on in the VH household right this minute??

EVH: No, you CAN'T take the TAB on the road. You have to learn to actually play the songs.

WVH: But Daaaad... This one goes above the third little wire thing and that one uses like all the strings. I wanna play Nintendooooooo...

20. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Hahaha that was great! Good way to start the work day! :D