1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wolfmother - Love Train, is he using fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Chris Ross's bass tone is always thick and furry sounding, as he plays though a ampeg all tube head and fridge. He is a big muff user, and it can be hard to distinguish when he is using it. Here is the video - http://youtube.com/watch?v=MeHwgR8pQhg - the parts I am talking about are when just the bass is playing the main riff, 00:21 - 00:23, 00:26 - 00:28 etc. Is he using his big muff or is that just his ampeg.

2. I don't know the band but after seeing the video I think that the overdriven sound you hear is actually a guitar playing on top of the clean bassline.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    To everyone who thinks their opinion of the band in question matters, your favorite band sucks.

Keep it on topic.

4. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hahahaha Fair enough. :)

hahaha

But what if my favorite is Humble Black? :smug:

5. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    My favorite band sucks! Heresy! :p

But, I did answer his question... that's not a muff making that noise (at least, not the pedal, tee hee)

6. He's not using the Big Muff. Sounds too subtle... the Muff doesn't do subtle.

Well... I don't do subtle with mine. :smug:

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You might be a masochist. Who could possibly like that?

:D

8. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I'm pretty sure it is just a rickenbacker into svts. Nice growl and overdive.

9. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I have to agree, that's probably just Ampeg.

10. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    +1

11. Tubes, tubes and more tubes

MM

they give me flash backs to 1970.

12. Yep, its his Ampeg!

Also, I gotta say, Chris is a great guy. I don't see him now that I have moved from Sydney, but good times have been had in the past. I really hope he does well in his new venture.

Excuse my mugshot look, I hate photos after a few drinks, but I guess this is an opportunity to post a pic :)

mechris.

13. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    That is so awesome. Have you met the other guys from Wolfmother too? I'd love to hear some stories about hanging out with them, if you have some

14. i have also wondered about his overdriven tones. there are other songs where its a lot more distorted but i think its all in the tubes

15. P_HAT

P_HAT

Sep 4, 2008
    Ukraine
    Some effects pedals he also uses include an Electro Harmonix Big Muff fuzz pedal, ProCo Rat Distortion, Electro Harmonix deluxe Memoryman and an LPB 2ube. (c) Liepedia.

And yes, KarateKid25 a really lucky guy :D

16. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    He uses a EHX line booster. Their was a vid on the EHX website about the history of fuzz and he talked about using a LBP in his setup. I would think that is the slightly overdriven sound your talking about.

17. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    well i believe some of the pedals you mentioned are used on his organ rather than his bass, but im not sure. he is awesome though

18. Sounds like an overdriven AMPEG tube amp to me!!!

19. shinobi

shinobi

Nov 24, 2007
    Aichi, Japan
    if it's a pedal, i'd bet it's an ehx english muff'n

if i'm not mistaken he's been known to use it. in fact, it was in that lpb history vid where i thought i saw it, and he definitely uses at least one ehx tube pedal live. pity that they broke up

and there you have it, the tube, pedal and overdriven theory all in one :)

20. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    here is the wiki on it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Ross
    you got me to thinking about it, so i looked it up. And yeah i guess it is just overdriven Ampeg