Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wolftones

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Hey fellas and ladies. I have a wolftone or what I have been told is a wolf tone on my open G and on the G on my D string. I live in a small down with no wolftone clamps and I'm playing all the time. Is there a quick fix or something that will help until I can travel to get a clamp?

2. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Go to Walmart and get a fishing line weight to clamp on your string below the bridge. Any kind of weighted clamp will work though, so you can be as creative/innovative/utilitarian as you see fit.

The drawback to having a weight you can't move around easily is that it discourages you to experiment around with it, to see where it diminishes the wolfone and/or changes the bass's tone slightly (at least, to my ears it does). My wolf is on the Bb.

3. How heavy should the weight be?

4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I'd guess around 20 grams or so.

5. Johonn

Johonn

Nov 19, 2004
    Brunswick, ME
    If you dont want to wait till you can travel to acquire wolf tone suppressor there is a good one at http://www.quinnviolins.com/qv_miscbass.shtml
    scroll down until you see the New Harmony Wolf Tone Eliminator...this one is particurlaly useful because you dont have to take the string off to use it, so you can try it on different strings and listen to the effect to find the best position. I would recommend just getting one or two of the heavier ones, dont bother getting the whole set.