1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wolstenholme distorted bass tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Midfour, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Midfour

Midfour

Aug 26, 2010
    Any imput on how to get it? I'm thinking maybe split EQ (clean low end, heavily distorted mids/highs), and I'm not sure whether or not he uses a pick. I'm specifically talking about songs like "Hysteria" and "Knights of Cydonia" with that thick-but-not-sludgey, rounded off sound with good note definition but no clicking. I'm not a huge Muse fan but I think that could be a useful sound.

If this is in wrong forum please move.

2. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Jul 16, 2009
    Utah
    OH GOD!!!! It never ends!

Use the search function, there is a sticky that explains his tone/gear in detail.

3. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Well, I suppose that addresses the tone issue.

Chris is predominantly a fingerstyle player, but "Knights of Cydonia" is a weird one. He plays pick on the first part with the galloping bassline but then switches to fingerstyle afterwards.

4. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland

5. Midfour

Midfour

Aug 26, 2010
    I tried, but my computer is on the fritz, and the TB search seems to not work the majority of the time (computer just refreshes the page when I click search button). Sorry for any inconvenience.

6. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Jul 16, 2009
    Utah
    Oh, my apologies then. It's just that this subject does seem to get brought up alot.

7. I'm all for creating my own tone than trying to be someone else. But if your doing a cover of a Muse song I understand wanting to nail the sound.

8. Midfour

Midfour

Aug 26, 2010
    me too but I think that something similar to that sound could be useful in lots of situations (though normally my fuzz tone is way differant than Wolstenholme's).

PS got my search function working... That's a lot of pedals! But anyway, now that we have determined that my thread is stupid and totally useless, feel free to delete it.

9. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    I'll be back stage tomorrow at the SD Muse concert, so I'll ask Chris what he thinks and get back to you guys. I'm sure he can recall every setting, of every pedal, from all 20 songs they're going to rock out to tomorrow night, but after a couple of Newcastles maybe not. Cheers.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ha! the guy doesn't even work his own pedals anymore.

can't say i ever saw much use in trying to chase other people's tones. how you play is way more important. besides, who's going to lug around 3 separate rigs and two racks full of stuff?

11. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    Yea Chris' advice-don't chase my tone make your own. Why follow when you can lead.

12. I found this thread to be very useful, I was wondering if you guys could help me with a few similar questions: :help:

1. What is the best bass for metal?
    2. What gear does the guy from Tool use?
    3. How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?

:bag: :smug:

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. mothman
    2. expensive stuff
    3. 3

14. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    well, we can close talkbass now, all the questions to ask have been answered. :smug:

15. 4-Banger

4-Banger

Jul 21, 2010
    Chicago
    Big Muff fuzz pedal and Akai Deep Impact Synth pedal

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021