1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Woman bassists in Jazz

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Silevesq, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Silevesq

Silevesq

Oct 2, 2010
    Quebec
    Hello people of talkbass, hope everyone is fine!

We all know about Esperanza Spalding and Linda Oh and the more recent people.
    Do you know about older woman? Thinking pre 1990 playing Jazz, I hear there was a woman at Berklee teaching around 1985. But I came to the realization that I don't know a lot of them and I think it's a lack.

Please open me to someone new!

2. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Kristen Korb. Great player and singer!

3. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Marlene Rosenberg has been killing it here in Chicago, (and elsewhere), for years as a player and educator.

(And, did you mean to type other women? Personally, I'd never be so gauche as to ask for their age.)

robinunit likes this.
  4. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    He may be referring to women who have been at it longer than the two he mentions have been. Both Oh and Spalding are in their early 30s (even moderately famous people don't really get to hide their age), so there's a lot of room between that and "too old to still be playing".

Silevesq likes this.
  5. ejnachtrab

ejnachtrab

Nov 18, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Marion Hayden is a great bass player and has been an integral part of the Detroit jazz scene for a long time.

Silevesq likes this.
  6. oren

oren Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    +1 on Marlene Rosenberg! I take lessons from her when I can, and I always come away better for it.

Katie Ernst is another Chicago DB player who is well worth checking out.

7. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    I figured it was an 'auto-correct' typo. (And just making a little joke, too.)

Silevesq and RBrownBass like this.
  8. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Joelle Leandre isn't a straight jazz player but plays lots of free jazz. Shayna Dulberger and Lisa Mezzacappa are two great more recent jazz and free jazz bassists. Nina De Haney from Sweden, more of a free player but in her 40s or so.

Levin and robinunit like this.
  9. Silevesq

Silevesq

Oct 2, 2010
    Quebec
    Currently listening loving it!
    Great!

Thank RBrownBass for clarifying what I meant.

bassfran and RBrownBass like this.
  10. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Nicki Parrott

Silevesq likes this.
  11. Silevesq

Silevesq

Oct 2, 2010
    Quebec
    Far from me the idea of starting a war... But why do I feel like they are pushed to sing?
    I know they don't all sing but the proportion of "men" singing and playing the bass is so much lower then the one for woman. Is this in my head? Is there an explanation? Or am I searching too far again...

@damonsmith Wow Mrs Leandre technique is amazing!

12. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Probably more male bassists should sing. Red Mitchell sang, who is that great Nashville bassist who sings?
    Peter Kowald did tuvan throat singing.

13. Jim Ferguson.

damonsmith likes this.
  14. JimmyT

JimmyT

Nov 28, 2004
    Seatlle
    Jodi Proznick out of Vancouver BC has a nice touch and melodic approach.

Jodi Proznick

tmntfan likes this.
  15. This might be a bit more pre 90's then you're thinking but Thelma Terry was a great bassist and bandleader in Chicago through the 20s and 30s. According to a friend she gave Gene Krupa one of his early breaks.

Silevesq likes this.
  16. Crazy John

Crazy John

Nov 14, 2015
    Carol Kaye

17. Silevesq

Silevesq

Oct 2, 2010
    Quebec
    Don't remember seeing her play the double bass, got audio or video of that?

18. Crazy John

Crazy John

Nov 14, 2015
    Big OOPS
    I didn't read this was the double bass forum. Apologies to all.

19. I hadn't even heard of Marlene Rosenberg (shame on me - I'm only 2 hours from Chicago) until I saw her at the Chicago Jazz Festival last year. She was, as you say, "killing it". Seeing her play was one of my best memories from the festival.

bassfran and oren like this.
  20. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Well Carol Kaye used to jam a lot of jazz, didn't she? The topic really was about women bassists playing jazz, or did it also mean women who exclusively played the double bass? Sorry for the derail and confusion, I'm not very good at english.
    On the double bass, in Sweden there is also Jenny Kristoffersson and Tove Brandt, there is one great older that I don't remember at the moment that doesn't play any more, hm