Woman Bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassPanther, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm just curious as to where all the woman bassists are at? I always wanted to jam with a female bassist, and I'm just curious as to where they are at and what kind of music they play.
    I'm especially interested in any females that play metal or hard rock, since that's the type of music I want to play.

Any ladies want to jam? ;)
  2. ...what kinda music they play????

I see that as an insult, as if women come from another realm/planet or something. Aren't we all human? (most of us, hehe) We all share the same emotions.
    So would it be different kinda blues/punk/funk/rock/etc if a woman sings/plays it?? Hmmm... let me ask my girlfriend if she feels the excitment when getting ready for a concert. I know she does.
    I don't think gender plays a role in the vibe of the music.
    Just my honest opinion.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Be honest - you wanna get laid :D
  4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    She most def doesn't do metal or hard rock,
    but historically you gotta look at Carol Kaye.
    She did so many sessions you've heard her whether you know it or not!!
    "Good Vibrations", a bunch of Motown, & probably about a zillion commercials, TV shows, etc.
    Ms. Kaye is a very cool person, talked w/ her briefly once, & with her credentials, no 'tude!
    She has a number of bass books out as well.
  5. Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    What about that chick that played with the Smashing Pumpkins? She was hot. ;)
  6. Mellem, see that's the kinda responses that have no respect, "...that chick from..."
    Most guys demand respect from a woman, or should I say "their" woman, and give none in return.

Listen to the bassist from the Donnas. I'm not sure what Donnas she is. She rocks out like a mofo. Their show was probably one of the best, next to Mike Watt, that I saw last year :cool:.
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't think you asked for pro players, but here are some:

Rhonda Smith (Prince), Joyce Julks (studio), Rana Ross (Hardrock/Metal), Share Pederson(sp?) (Vixen, Hardrock), Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads, Alt. Pop), Kim Clarke (Defunkt, Funk, Jazz), Kira (Black Flag, Dos, Alternative), etc.
  8. Her name is D'arcy.

Hehe, thats what I was thinkin'

I was thinkin' this too.
  9. i play punk and metal!! and what boognishmang said
    about gender not playing a role in the vibe of music i totally agree with...and carol kaye's a legend!!!
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    i think your over-reacting a bit. When he said what kind of music they play, I dont believe that he was being gender biased. If you re-read his entire sentence it said this : I'm just curious as to where they are at and what kind of music they play

I think he meant it as in each individual woman, but because he was speaking about a group he said they. I wish could put it in a less confusing or more proper way, but Im no english major, but i think you understand what i mean.

So please lighten up and not be so quick to fly off the handle to other members, as I could easily misconstrue what you said as an attempt to flame another member.
  11. Apologies if I seemed offensive.

My girlfriend happens to have a degree in english and she also thought it was a wrong approach to giving recognition.
    Almost all of my friends are females, and I've heard an endless amount of pick-up lines. Again, apologies if I seemed quick to snap.

Lets' get back to mentioning female bassist that RAWK OUT!:)
  12. Boognish: Sorry about the misunderstanding there. I didn't mean to say that it was different for woman (as in the gender). Of couse looking back now I realize the error of my english. For future reference, my grammar sucks.

JMX: I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to get laid. Although that wasn't the intent of this post.

For everyone else:
    I wasn't asking for the names of famous female bassists. I was actually trying to find out some of the ladies in this board. I'm just curious as to what (if any) differences there may be between a male bassist, not just in the way they play but the type of sound they like, how they play etc. I'm not trying to make this a gender battle, just curiousity. Plus I'd just like to jam with someone (no, not sexually).

Let's be honest with ourselves here: men and women use the bathroom in dramatically different ways right? :D
  13. my ex girl freind was a bass player,when ever i couldnt think of some thing to talk to her about we could talk bass and stuff.i learned alot from her and she probly doesnt even know it.my 2 cents
  14. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Rhonda Smith is a killer bassist!
    Janice Marie Johnson, Taste of Honey
    Tina Weymouth, Talking Heads
    Amie Mann, Til Tuesday
    Me'shell Ndege'diello Not sure of the spelling.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well this just makes no sense - why should it make a difference in music - you'll be suggesting that women need different basses made for them next! :rolleyes:

I think the Carol Kaye example is a good one as she played on loads of sessions and famous records where nobody knew she was a woman and nobody ever commented that her playing was somehow "female" or different - just good for what was required.

There are probably more session bassists who are women and that you have heard without realising as well - so like Gail Ann Dorsey who plays with David Bowie and Sara Lee who played on loads of UK records.

I have actually met several female Jazz bass players and even had lessons/workshops with female pro bass players - to me it just comes down to whether you're a good player or teacher - gender, race or whatever is irrelevant and to say anything else is probably illegal in terms of emplyment law in most countries and is the basis for institutionalised sexism!
  16. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Carol Kaye hs written some things about her session calls back in the 60's, etc. She originally was a jazz guitarist & switched to Fender in the early days to make more $$- she certainly was instrumental in developing the role, everybody has to give her props, I think.
    She talked about the "prejudice" she encountered,
    being a woman especially on a ballsy axe like the bass. I guess once she hit it, gender didn't figure in the mix-Pretty inspiring-She's got a website & offers all kinds of info & material-
    I wish she'd gig a little more!
    Carol, you listening?;)
  17. I can think of many great punk bands with female bassists:
    CHaos UK
    Lunachicks (all female)
    Devotchkas (them too)
    Shaftdrive (all female metal)
    Oppressed Logic
    to name a few plus the fact that I have personally played in bands or shows with bands that consist of mostly women.
  18. I can't remember her name, but there's the bassist from Rockbitch.
  19. I'm really getting annoyed with people's misconceptions of me.

If trying to meet people on this board is considered stalking, then this world has really gone to heck. Yes this post is geared towards woman because quite honestly I don't know any female bassists personally.

I never said it made a difference in the music, if you would read my quote more closely I said that IF there was any difference, I never said that there was a difference.

I made no such suggestions, nor did I even hint at this sort of blasphemy! Don't make inferences or assumptions of something I didn't say!

Look everyone here's what I was intending originally with this post. I probably should've just made this list in the first place.

A) Meet some female bassists
    B) Talk to some female bassists
    C) If possible to get together with said female bassists and play bass with them

Why am I targeting female bassists?
    Because I've never met a female bassist, let alone played music with one.

I can't believe how my message got changed around to the point of making me look like a stalker, a pervert or a sexist pig. I am none of these things, and I didn't come to this board to be made out to be any of those things.
    Please, if you've got questions about something I've written (I know I can be unclear at times) just ask me about it and I'll be more then happy to explain it. But don't make me out to be something I'm not, I really despise that sort of thing.

Ok I'm done. Hopefully someone understands what I'm trying to say.
  20. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Welcome to Talkbass, BassPanther!

There are a few female bassists here - but look at the "SHOW SELF PICS" and "ACTION PICS" threads and you will see why they might choose to lay low. There are those whose hormones seem to be out of control, and they make stupid comments whenever a female bassist posts.

I'm not saying this is what you did, because you didn't, but that's the reason why many people here might be a little leery of this thread (it's happened before). Don't take it personally man is all I can tell you. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.