Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, Feb 22, 2005.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    So, I'm at UPS last week and notice the girl behind the counter is moderately attractive. I decide to start flirting with her and to my surprise she flirts back. After some small talk, I decided to ask her if she'd like to go out with me sometime. She agreed, but told me she was going to North Carolina for the weekend. I told her that I'd call her sometime next week. (which is now this week)

I tried to call her tonight but the # she gave me is diconected. She was fairly busy & it was also a bit hectic with customers in there when she wrote it down; so I'm thinking it may have been written down wrong or perhaps a new #.

Would you A.) Go back to UPS and let her know you tried calling but the number is disconected or B.) Write is off as if she didn't want to go out with you and gave you a bogus # deliberately?

It's kinda wierd to me too because she really did seem genuinely interested in going out with me. (Blushing, smiling, laughing, and flirting back)

FWIW, I usually just write it off as if they don't wanna go out and cease any further contact with them and was thinking about doing the same with this one.
  2. Go for it...

if she gave youu the wrong number... embarrasing for her and it may show her you got balls which may lead back to her coming over to see your basses.

No time to sit and wonder
  3. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I got it:

Order a high end boutique bass.

When it arrives at UPS, ask her about it, ask her out again, whatever.

If she says no, who cares, you got a new bass...if she says yes, show her some "finger-style".
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Choose wisely, choose B. You go back and try to stumble your way though that explanation, and she'll peg you for a hard-up loser looking to get laid. Besides, she is only "moderately attractive". You only risk embarassment on the good looking women. :)

5. "I say talk to her... I you hurl and she stays, game on. If you blow chunks and she bolts it was never meant to be."
  6. Where's my babel fish?
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sounds like a Seinfeld episode.
    If you want to review, it's the Festafus epi.
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's great!
    I need to write that down!!
  9. Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    Go back to the UPS store for a different reason and start over. If you mention that she gave you a bogus number your going to come across as lame and desperate.

Have a reason to go there besides to see her and play it cool. Don't ever call her out on the number mix up.

Also don't ever use the sentence "So do you want to go out sometime?"

Instead ask her to go to something specific.

"Hey I'm going to play tomorrow at the 'such and such' down the street want to come to the show"

Or better yet ask her to come along to something and tell her she is going to like it.

"Hey I'm going to be at the local 'insert event name here' want to come along it will be fun"

10. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Don't play games. Just be honest.

She knows you know where she works, so giving you a bogus number would be pretty useless...and stupid on her part. It's different if you met her in a bar and she did that, because then she could give you a bogus number and chances are you wouldn't see her again.

But you know where she works, so writing down a false number makes no sense. She probably wrote it down and you either read it wrong or she made a mistake.

Be honest. Tell her you tried calling but it said it was disconnected. Then ask her for it again, and add that if she doesn't want to, that's cool, but you'd really like to take her out on a date.

And "moderately attractive" being used as some kind of guide to how you treat people is BS. Be honest and she will appreciate that.

I can't believe the stupid games people play sometimes. :rollno:
  11. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Sounds like time for "feats of strength"
  12. I'd consider it a write off. If the only two options were to go down and confront her, versus not saying a word at all, I wouldn't say anything. However, if you happen to have a genuine reason to get down to UPS (or can make up a good reason) then I'd go there and act like nothing happened. Start all over again and see if you two hit it off. If she is cold again then you know exactly what she meant. If she flirts back, then you can say to her that the number she gave didn't work and see where it goes from there.

However, I wouldn't waste my time unless you think this really could have gone somewhere. I've had girls who have told me that they're interested but they can't meet up for a certain reason and if I don't consider the reason valid enough, I forget that I ever met them. I want someone who 100% wants to be with me. If I was totally sure about a girl I'd just met, I would make sure that the number I gave was dead on and that I was able to pick up her call when she made it. But hey, thats just me.

13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I don't think I'll fumble through that explanation should I choose to go back and talk to her again. If I do talk to her, I'm going to be very light hearted about the entire thing.

14. I agree with MJ5150 and khay0s.

There's no need for a confrontation, and she was probably just being flirty, which does not mean she wants to go out with you, it just means she enjoyed talking to you right there and then.

People DO NOT lose the phone numbers of people they are interested in.

Let's say Bruce Springsteen is playing in your town, you have an extra ticket and you find out she likes Bruce Springsteen. You ask her to go, she says yes, because she really wants to go to the concert, and you ask her for her phone # so you can call her later in the week to comfirm the time, place, et cetera.

Do you think you would have gotten a wrong/disconnected phone # ?

I am no expert when it comes to women, but the wrong phone # line is one of the oldest in the book. (no pun intended)

Good luck, Cass. ;)

15. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    Word up! I'd go back in and ask her what's up - who knows, if its a house phone, maybe her parents (age?) didn't pay the bill, or maybe her cell phone bill is overdue (which may not be a good sign, but...).

You people are way too cynical - sometimes random crap happens. Nova - CASAnova, go by your gut instinct on her non-verbal cues at the time of the original meeting. If she looked interested, she probably is. I highly doubt the probability of her knowing a disconnected phone number or the probability of a random phone number being disconnected is very high.
  16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, agreed. Go with your gut. For some women, giving out a fake phone number is a "first line of defense". If you're really interested, and you go back to see her and let her know you are, maybe she'll give you the right one this time. I wouldn't even wait that long, in other words, I'd probably ask her out for a cup of coffee after work or something. Either way, the second effort should give you a better idea of what's going on. Good luck! :)
  17. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    That does'nt seem "stalkerish" to you folks, me going to her place of work to enquire about a wrong phone #?

For some reason a line from Duece Biggalow keeps commin into my head. It when he was mackin on the girl in the pet store and the old lady says to him "Get laid on your own time"
  18. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The games people play.

I just have to laugh when I read how some people make dating and relationships such a complex thing.

You're interested in someone, yet you second guess, you make assumptions, you lie, plot, and try to figure out some strange angle to the situation.

All of this without even talking to the person you are interested in.

The number one priority in ANY relationship, even if your only interest is in getting laid, is...COMMUNICATION. No wonder there are so many failed relationships.
  19. Sundogue, very good post! :cool:

I was going to say that I agree with you, but then I read your signature. :D

Mike ;)
  20. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i guess you know her name right? i would just call the ups store and say "hey the number you gave me didn't work". i wouldn't waste my time or money going in there when you really didn't need to.

girls play games all day long. i've had about 1,000 girls give me their number and never return my voicemail. i've even had quit a few OFFER me their number or get MY number and never make contact.

i believe honesty is the best policy but i think most girls have a hard time doing that. and some think they would be mean if they said no or a B$#% if they didn't give a nice guy their number. even though it's not cool we all have done it, just distanced ourself from a person instead of just being honest and saying i don't want to see you anymore or talk to you in the first place.

who knows what girls are thinking. the only way to get some insight is service yourself....then for that next 45 seconds you can think like a girl.