Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Women And Children First

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jan 5, 2006.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

I've just recalled that I became a big Van Halen fan when their debut LP was released back in 78, their second was also very good, but I was really, really disappointed with their third one, "Women And Children First". I really liked the cover and back cover photos and design, but the only tune that was half-good to me was "And The Cradle Will Rock". Of course it was 16 years ago and haven't heard that album again. Was I the only one who felt like that? Of course this feeling cannot be generalized, but I mean, from the point of view of a VH fan, this album was something different that didn't please me. On the other hand, "Diver Down", which was a seriously dismissed album (even by the band members themselves), is still one of my favorites regardless of being a mostly-covers release. Maybe I have to give another listening to WACF?

Edit: 26 years ago!

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm a big Van Halen fan, and I like the entire album. The album still has two major "hits", And the Cradle Will Rock..., and Everybody Wants Some!!, which should appeal to the more casual Van Halen fan.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm a casual fan, but I have to say.... Van Halen II good? I think that album is dreadful. One or two great songs (Dance the Night Away) and all the rest is boring filler.

4. For Van Halen, it doesn't get any better than Fair Warning.

#1 right behind it. The rest? give or take a couple singles, you can bury.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I was a HUGE Van Halen fan. The first concert I ever saw, was Van Halen, on thier Women & Children First tour. I still remember David Lee Roth, in mid-chorus during Jamie's Cryin', stop the band, & say,, "Uh oh, I forgot the f'ing words". I thought that was lame as hell, but funny at the same time.

Anyway, VH1 is one of the all-time premier rock albums ever. Thier 2nd & 3rd & 4th albums had some good stuff on them. You could listen to the whole album, true not as complete as thier first, but still... not what I would call bad.

I thought Diver Down was dreadful, but 1984 made me completely forget Diver Down was ever made. IMHO, VH1 & 1984 are THE VH albums to get, if you dont want a "best of..." CD.

VH w/ Sammy, they had some good stuff, but not one of the Van Hagar disks, was 100% listenable, like VH1 or 1984.

Interestingly, looking them up on Musicmatch, sales popularity would indicate that "Women & Children First" & "Fair Warning" were two of the LEAST popular albums/cds.

6. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I loved women and children first

7. Ooops, forgot the "imo" :D

8. Time to update Wikipedia. ;)

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My favorite VH album by a big margin is "5150" personally.

10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Different strokes...

VHII is my favorite VH album. I like 5150 alot too...

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I dig all the VH albums with DLR.

When Dave left, VH became a thing of the past, imo.

12. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I agree, Alvaro. Like you, I don't think I heard that album(well cassette for me) since 1988.

Fair Warning is also my fave with 5150 or 1984 a close second.

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    "I really liked the cover and back cover photos and design, but the only tune that was half-good to me was "And The Cradle Will Rock"."

Actually, my fav on that record was always "Take Your Whiskey Home", and besides that, "Everybody Wants Some", "Could This Be Magic", and "Cradle" were pretty good, IMO...

- georgestrings

14. You said it!!! I thought that was by far their best.

I used to think I and II were cool, then I bought them on CD and listened again. I think it was just all the cool guitar playing, I mean, there's some cool songs on I (On Fire, Eruption, Jamie's Cryin', Atomic Punk, etc) but II was pretty over the top with the DLR vocal thing...and most of the songs on I and II are pretty awful, save the aforementioned ones...

I thought Women and Children first was better than II, but not by a whole lot...only track I really liked was Take Your Whiskey Home.