Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Womens Hurdles!!!!!!! WOW!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Holy cow! watching olympics yesturday, womens hurdles were on.

They start.
    Sprinting foward.
    First hurdle comes.
    *jumps*
    One in like the 8th or something lane crashes..
    Out goes the hurdle.
    Takes out the person in the next lane.
    Ouch

Holy cow, wouldn't that be so embarrasing? Then she just kinda sat there, should've gotten up and tried to finish the race. When i watched that I cringed, all that trainin, practice, and effort. So sad.

2. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I saw that as well. I wonder if the Russian girl who fell on account of the other person will try to get the race re-run. I couldn't even imagine falling on the first hurdle when you've spent your whole life just getting to that one point.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    That was a Canadian! She was expected to win too. Her home town is about 5 minutes from mine. I felt really bad for her, it would really suck to fall at the first hurdle.

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

4. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    And this is why we haven't invaded you guys yet. Keep up the good work and you shall remain a free nation. Fail and you will be the place we send our criminals to alleviate the over populated prisons.

just kidding :D

5. Yep, one of our best medal hopes out just like that... that's the way it's been going for us this year.

Perdita Fellicien would be her name I believe.

6. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Speaking of the trampoline, I realize it really does take athleticism and whatnot, but the whole time I was watching it I couldn't believe it was actually an event.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Its the same with beachvolley ball for me. I mean i can see the skill and all, its just a bit, comical - IMO

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I saw it, it was unfortunate what happened, and I felt bad for Perdita Felicien (the Canadian runner..sp?), and worse for the Russian. But at the same time, seeing Joanna Hayes' face when she won gold was a stunning. She was so happy. I guess that's sort of the epitome of the paradox that is the Olympics, and athleticism in general. Everyone can work as hard and as long as they want, but in the end, only 3 people get a medal and only one gets the gold. For every triumph there's a failure.

/waxing philosophical.

9. I'd be upset if I were Russian, but lets not kid ourselves, the Russian runner had no chance of winning. The Canadian on the other hand was the heavy gold medal favorite.

Like I said in the other thread, an American hurdler with gold medal hopes did the same thing today on the mens side, so that made me feel better :).

10. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, if you watch the race when the Russian got hit she was already in the back anyway. I realize it was just the first hurdle, but she was lagging behind.

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    That's crap. She worked her whole life to get to that spot to not even get her shot, just to get screwed. It's not fair to discount her like that, all of the competitors are the best in the world, or else they wouldn't be there.

Seems like from what I have saw, the Russians have been getting boned pretty regular....men's gymnastics high bar for example.

12. Hurdles are freakin hard...I had to in T&F last year, worst event....ever.

13. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I'm not even in track. Hurdles are simple.

Maybe it's got something to do with being 6' 4".

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The canadian who F***ed up was expected to win gold! :mad: :mad: :mad: