1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wonder what kind of bass this is?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by GeneralElectric, Sep 29, 2009.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    So my boss knows I'm a bassist, and I told her I used to play upright, but now only play electric since I had to sell my upright when I moved, only to have its replacement fall to pieces on me. (An ancient Kay that had a lot of issues)

So she tells me that her daughter has an upright that she's looking to get rid of. My ears perk up and I ask her what it is, and she tells me she's not sure, but its pretty old, and that her daughter paid $450 for it. She said it was a special one because it "had two feet on the bottom" I'm assuming she meant end pins. Now her daughter is also 4'11 and 28, so I'm worried that this bass will be really tiny. She said that the daughter couldn't 'set the bass up' and that she didn't feel like paying someone else to do it, so its been sitting in her living room for a long while.

Anyone think that the odds would be in my favor if I checked it out? Does anyone know what it could be, saying that a double end pin or whatever is stock?

The fact that she paid so little for it, makes me iffy, but maybe she got an awesome deal? :help:

I'm trying to find out some more info on it. I'll keep you all posted.

2. Some of the basses made by Roth had two "plugs" on the bottom; one for the endpin and one for the tail gut -- could be what she means. These are "factory" basses made in Germany, I believe.

The ones that I've played were pretty nice sounding instruments.

3. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Never hurts to look, amirite?

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Any idea what they'd go for about?

I was told it was carved, but I dunno if its really a carved top bass.

I'm waiting for her to tell her daughter to email me.:hyper: