1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wonder Woman (no spoilers)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Jun 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It's funny, I don't get out to an actual movie theater very much, and now I've seen the same movie in the theater twice in a week's time - Wonder Woman. I was in Kansas City working and popped into a movie theater on my own last Sunday, the weekend it was released. Got back to NH Friday and this afternoon took the family to a matinee.

I've got to admit - I was really excited when I first saw the previews, and was not disappointed. I feel like this is a really difficult character to pull off right. She has to be both strong and beautiful, and I think most attempts to depict her either have her flouncing around with curves falling out of her too-tight costume, or too self-consciously trying to cover her up as though she weren't a freaking Greek goddess. Gal Gadot's depiction hit the balance just right - sexy without being reduced to a sex object, strong and independent without disconnecting from humanity.

It was probably also very good for the movie that there was no superman on the radar at all. Too often she seems to mainly appear as member of the Justice League as a girl with copycat powers of his, but not as good. This let her stand on her own.

Anyway, just sharing my own two-thumbs-up and seeing what everyone else thought.

gal-gadot-wonder-woman-feminist-diet-exercise-weight-loss-tips.

Bob_Ross, murphy, 47th Street and 2 others like this.
  2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Saw it, liked it. She is breathtaking. I live in the real world but I gotta crush on her!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    47th Street and hrodbert696 like this.
  3. Thanks for the spoiler-free review (the best kind).

I'm hearing nothing but good stuff, stoked to see this one.

4. OldDog52

OldDog52 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Same here. Everyone I talk to who's seen it says it's very good.

5. Ironbar

Ironbar

Aug 24, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Just saw it today, and I agree with your review- spot on. Really enjoyed it! Gal Gadot was amazing and this really did the character justice.

6. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I agree too, the movie was fantastic. Gal Gadot was really good. Probably my favorite Marvel/DC character portrayal yet, and Wonder Woman is one of my least favorite characters. As stated before, she was always the female superman. Gal Gadot and the director made her far more then that.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  7. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Akk cent chew ate The Positive Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    I thought it was Really Well Done!
    I, too, rarely get to the theater to watch a movie...my Bride has serious trouble sitting still for 2 hours!
    Now we've seen 2 great movies in 2 weeks!
    WW & Cars III...
    I could type about either all night long!

...she is drop dead smokin' gorgeous...and Lots more!

The backstory is well written and convincingly delivered...the First World War was depicted quite well; 7ish on a 10 scale...and the ending was perfect!
    What's she gonna do next?
    World War II?
    help Gandhi walk to the sea?
    get inspired by reading Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring"?
    3 Mile Island?
    Chernobyl?
    bring a lasting Peace to the Middle East?

I can't wait!

8. I'll be watching the TV version in about 40 minutes:

lynda-carter-running-wonder-woman.

mellowinman, fretter and tonequixote like this.
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I saw the movie twice within a few days, too. I saw it with a friend who was in town from the left coast and then, with mu spouse a couple days later. I never followed WW or watched the TV series or read anything. So, this movie was really my first "encounter" with her. Simply, amazing film. Not an ounce of fat in it, anywhere, and as mentioned above, a great back story. I loved the tie in with Wayne Enterprises; that initial scene and the story around it was fantastic. :thumbsup: I could go on but I think at least a couple of TBer may not have seen the movie, yet.

murphy and 47th Street like this.
  10. Might be an unpopular opinion but I thought it was rather lame, awkward, and definitely fell on its face as a "feminist movie," if anyone cared about that potential goal... My biggest complaint, aside from the same issues I take with generally every superhero movie (horrible character design and development, over-the-top, gratuitous action and superpowers that are so overpowered and unbridled you can never be impressed when they overcome a challenge), is that her character had no personality beyond doing what she thought she was supposed to / prophesied to. She was clueless most of the time, and the dynamics of most of the other characters was just kind of silly too. I also think it tried too hard to be a vanguard for feminism while at best having awful delivery on those points, and at worst completely falling into the same at least vaguely sexist pit-falls as most media...

Sorry fans...

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    You're taking the film WAY too seriously.

47th Street and blue4 like this.
  12. Yeah, apparently that person never watched WW on TV, LOL!
    especially episodes with Drusilla:

ww0628.

That's Carolyn Jones as their mum, quite popular as Morticia Addams.

13. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    A grown man going to the cinema alone to watch a comic book movie to me is just...sad.

Glad you liked it though.

shadowtippy likes this.
  14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    it sucks that the WW actress was only paid $300k.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  15. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    When you're on the road for work, might as well. I've seen movies that way that I'd never watch, like one of the Hulk remakes.

47th Street and Thisguy like this.
  16. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Nobody cared about feminist movie goals outside of a few articles on Yahoo's home page.

17. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Why is it sad?

FilterFunk, Thisguy and hrodbert696 like this.
  18. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Just going to the movies alone can be a bit.. lonesome.
    Movie going (to me) should be a shared experience

19. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I was disappointed. I found it disjointed and not very engaging. And the "big villain" was a bit ridiculous.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I agree mostly, but I went a couple times by myself and quite liked it.
    Once was one of the Transformers movies (Dark of the Moon), and it was nice to sit alone to enjoy my popcorn and the movie free to react however I wanted.

-Mike

47th Street likes this.