Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wondering about a vintage p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamarjones, Nov 10, 2002.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Friend just showed me a vintage p bass his dad bought. serial # 13943 (sounds like a 56), black with matching headstock.

Any idea what this thing might go for, or if there is anything else I should check out about it? Seemed to feel really nice, not much wrong except a little wear at all. I figure you guys are better than any 'antique roadshow' so if you can give me a little advice, that would rock. Thanks.

2. Well, the serial number is in line with a '56, but I believe black didn't come as a color option until 1960. I think up until then it was blonde or sunburst. Back me up if I'm wrong here guys. That said, refinishing tends to drop the price a bit. Where was the serial number on the bass?

3. I think, in order for it to be appraised thoroughly, that it be sent to me and examined. Most likely, I'll have to hold onto it for a couple years, to examine the specimen from the inside out.

:D

4. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Ha! pretty funny! I don't think he'll let me get by that easy though...

Manco, the serial was on the plate on the back where the screws for the neck are. Figured the finish was interesting. If it is a refin, on must have happened early seventies or sixties. His dad got it right before he was born, (before 75) and has not used it since.

Thanks for the help. So does anyone know about black with matching headsatock as an option, when it might have been possible from the factory?

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    The only blk Pbasses that came with a matching headstock that I know of were in the late 60's, 68 and 69 the bassist from the clash used to play one but that's about all I know, I would have to see a pic of it to tell ya what it is.

6. I think i remember seeing a black P bass with matching headstock on ebay (ex deep purple's bass)

that ring any bells with anyone? I cant remember what year it was.

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Yesseri ChRiS! I bid on that baby and lost, That was a all original 1968 Pbass with matching headstock according to the owner.

8. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    A '56 P Bass looks like a Telecaster Bass. Fender didn't switch over to what we know as a Precision Bass until '57. i.e the headstock should be small (like a tele) and the body should have squared edges - not contoured like the P's from '57 on.

9. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    it looks like the telecaster/

So. before I try to go on, I am going to attempt to take pictures and post...

...so we can all have a fun well informed conversation ;)

10. I think the answer is simple - a refin. Why not?