Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wondering about headphones

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by steve_man, Nov 6, 2002.

1. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    This is for a recording setup going into my computer. and I'm wondering what would be a good set of headphones. I'm not looking on spending more than $150. so give me some opinions.

Just recording bass for the moment but may plan on adding instruments over the next bit.

2. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    Take a look at Headroom. Take a gander at the guide, they give really good advice, and don't seem to plug any one manufacturer too much.

The guy that is currently recording my band is actually using these to do the mixing. I've listened to them and they are great.

I'm not sure how they would do for mixing/recording purposes, but I personally am a big fan of Grado's. Not the uberexpensive Reference Series, but maybe you should give the SR125's or the SR80's a look.

Hope Headroom.com will be of some help.

3. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I was actually thinking about some grado's!

I was thinking either the 60's 80' or 125's

the only thing is I don't know anyone around who sells them

4. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    Try going to the GradoLabs website and emailing them for a list of distributors, dealers, etc.

You can't really go wrong with the SR125's. I tried the 125's 80's and 60's and can tell you that there is no real difference between the 80's and 60's if you want to save some money and get the 60's. I keep a pair of the 125's around all the time though. Great headphones.

But:

If you are going to be in a noisy environment, the Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser lines of sealed headphones are really good too....about as good as sealed cans get.

5. Many people like the AKG K240Gs - they're pretty well standard in most studios - very comfortable and neutral sounding.

- Wil

6. Sony MDR-7506 cans are available for as little as $90, and the bass thumps. Incredibly good headphones that are great for other applications as well.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    AKG 240M headphones are excellent. They only cost about $75.

8. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I just got a pair of Sony MDR-V900's. They are the best headphones I have EVER heard. They are a little pricey tough, around $130.

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I've used the free ones you get from Virgin airlines (I jest not).

10. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Australia
    Out of my grab bag of headphones in my studio the ones I use consistantly are Sennheiser HD 280 Pros - 30db of ambience attenuation -
    8HZ to 25kHZ (Yes that's 8HZ) for wonderful rich BASSSSSSSSS!

11. toasta

toasta

Nov 14, 2002
    One of the best are the beyerdynamic DT 770. You see them in almost every studio around the world, especially in europe. A few days ago I saw system of a down recording with them.

12. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I agree. Besides their frequency response and clarity, I find them to be very comfortable, too.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I agree. I use these for all of my school work and home recording, and I love them. Best $90 I ever spent.

14. I own a pair of Sony MDR-V700DJ's and really like the way they sound. But they are unconfortable if you where them for more than 4-5 hours at a time(especially if you have glasses)

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    A studio I used to record in years ago had AKG K240 and they are the best that I have had experience with. In one of the Pink Floyd movies, when they are showing them recording DSOTM, I believe they are using AKG K240. That movie must be at least 30 years old.

16. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I like Beyerdynamic DT250, I'm not sure about price in the US, eprhaps slightly more than your $150 target. Comfortable and very good definition. I use them for recording to a harddisk recorder and for mixing.

17. The Grado's are very nice. We have a set of SR80s in the studio that we use as a second reference while mixing. Much cleaner, fuller, deeper than the AKG 240s or 270s we give the musicians while tracking. It's rilly just an even response through the whole range or at least as even as you can get without going $$$$ crazy. I'm looking to get a pair of Grado SR125s.

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I would suggest looking at some cordless ones. I've done quite a lot of recording in the past, and I've found the cord *always* gets in the way. Particularly with guitars/bass, and drums.

19. dumoti

dumoti

Oct 12, 2002
    Flatlands, KS
    I use Denon AH-D950's. They're great for studio and general purpose listening. I paid $130 for mine.

From their website:
    <I>Superior external noise isolation • High strength neodymium magnets • 6 Nines Pure Copper voice coils and input cable (6N = 99.999% purity) • Vaporized Diamond diaphragms for outstanding high frequency resolution • 50mm driver unit • Oval ear pads with super comfort padding • Compatible with standard size (home components) headphone jacks as well as 3.5 mm mini-size personal audio jacks • 30 ohms • 2 Hz - 31 kHz response • Gold plated headphone plug with screw-type adaptor • Low resonance driver housing enclosure </I>