1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wondering About: SX SPJ-57 3TS With Black Pickguard and Maple Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twdavis13, Apr 18, 2009.

1. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    I was just wondering if anyone has one of these or has tried one and what they think of them. I ask this because everyone seems to pretty unanimous on the idea that SX is awesome.

spj573ts4.

spj573ts5.

Also, where could I get a replacement pickguard for this, pref. White, because I think the Black Looks Like Crap.:spit:

2. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    bump

3. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Kinda answered your own question there.

As long as you have reasonable expectations for it (not expecting a high end quality instrument, I mean really, it's 100 bucks) it will probably impress you. Add to that the fact that Rondo has a great return policy, and you'll probably be satisfied. If the Fender vibe is what you're going for, you can't really go wrong with an SX.

EDIT: It's considered bad form to bump your own thread after just half an hour, just FYI. Give it a little more time.

4. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    I have that bass with the rosewood fingerboard. I like the maple board. I've got one on my SX short scale and it came with zero problems. Nice straight neck and frets needed no dressing. I did tweak the truss rod. The neck is a little chunky but I refinished mine and sanded the back down some.Overall it is about 1/4 inch larger than my MIA jazz neck measuring fret end to fret end across the back of the neck.

5. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008

sigggeeeddddd!!!!!!!!!:bassist:

6. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I also have that one in rosewood. Mine didnt show up cosmetically perfect, and the setup was nonexistent but I fixed the setup. Im going to put CTS pots and dimarzios in it eventually. You could swap the PG but I think youll end up drilling extra holes and maybe carving out the neck pocket or pickup hole because I dont think they are consistent like fenders...more like squiers.

7. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    bump

also do you guys think this finish would look weird in a modern rock/alternative esque band?? i dont want to be emo like fall out boy.

8. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    bump