1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wondering about tensions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jamersonburton, Dec 10, 2011.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    hey guys,
    just a quick question:
    what would the tension be of daddario xl 50-105 roundwounds in drop C.
    thanks

2. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    sorry: just an edit: what would the tension be in C standard, thanks

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    To drop the tuning a string by 4 semitones, you must decrease the tension to 63% of its original value.

D'Addario lists the tensions of its strings (when tuned normally) on its site. Mind you, the tensions listed for normal long scale strings are for a 34" scale instrument, and the tensions listed for super long scale strings are for 36" scale.

4. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    thanks alot! :D
    So if my E string is 40.3 lbs of tension, when i drop it to C, thats:
    63% of 40.3=25.389, so 40.3-25.389=14.911 lbs of tension.....

That seems kinda low, are you sure its decreasing 63% of the original tension value or is it just 63% of the value?

P.S. where did you get that information? thanks

5. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
  6. sidez81

sidez81

Mar 16, 2011
    QLD, Australia
    I dont know numbers but on the 105 Ill say flabby and no good I used to use atleast a 110

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Tension is proportional to the square of the frequency. E1=41.203 Hz, C1=32.703 Hz (although you could take any pair of tones that are 4 semitones apart). (32.703/41.203)^2 = .62997 ≈ 63%.

Which is a lot floppier.

Consider that you're thinking of C tuning as a dropped E tuning. Very dropped. If you want to keep your tensions in a normal range, you should instead consider it to be a half-step raised B tuning, and buy a medium or light BEADG five string set, and use the bottom four and discard the G.

8. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005