Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wondering about the low F#...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Easy Rider, Oct 21, 2003.

1. I was bored, so started listening to some recordings of the tripmetal band I was once briefly in and despite the fun memories, was also reminded of the struggle of having to face two full stereo 7-string guitars. Those things go low, and with added effects a four-string bass is just plain useless, mainly because of that added low B (or detuned to A) string. I was glad I borrowed a (crap) 5-er for that time, which led me to wonder: how come the jazz-intended low B on guitar made it into metal but the bassguitar's low F# hasn't?
    Hook it to a/some Whappo Grande(s) or something and send everybody to the toilet! I can imagine some nut like F---dy wouldn't mind strutting a 6-string with a low F# instead of the for him pretty useless high C. Does anyone even make 6-ers strung like that? Or is it just 7's that come with the F#?
    Yes, I'm (mildly) GASsing for a 6, but I'd go for the high C myself, no doubt about that. I was just wondering about that low F# in relation to metal. :)

EZ

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It wouldn't be difficult to give a 6 string a low F# you'd need a new nut most likely, but that's easy enough.

3. i think it hasnt become popular because its too damn low...

it gets to a point where people wont even hear it, and alot of standard cabs wont even produce the notes properly

that being said id play one if someone gave me one...:p