1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wondering about the low F#...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Easy Rider, Oct 21, 2003.

1. I was bored, so started listening to some recordings of the tripmetal band I was once briefly in and despite the fun memories, was also reminded of the struggle of having to face two full stereo 7-string guitars. Those things go low, and with added effects a four-string bass is just plain useless, mainly because of that added low B (or detuned to A) string. I was glad I borrowed a (crap) 5-er for that time, which led me to wonder: how come the jazz-intended low B on guitar made it into metal but the bassguitar's low F# hasn't?
    Hook it to a/some Whappo Grande(s) or something and send everybody to the toilet! I can imagine some nut like F---dy wouldn't mind strutting a 6-string with a low F# instead of the for him pretty useless high C. Does anyone even make 6-ers strung like that? Or is it just 7's that come with the F#?
    Yes, I'm (mildly) GASsing for a 6, but I'd go for the high C myself, no doubt about that. I was just wondering about that low F# in relation to metal. :)

EZ

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It wouldn't be difficult to give a 6 string a low F# you'd need a new nut most likely, but that's easy enough.

3. i think it hasnt become popular because its too damn low...

it gets to a point where people wont even hear it, and alot of standard cabs wont even produce the notes properly

that being said id play one if someone gave me one...:p