Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wondering about TUNE basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, Sep 10, 2002.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well I tried a search and I didnt find alot and what I found was how a bass stays in "tune".

Just wondering what they are like for sound, reputation etc. In paticular the Kingbass.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Tune basses are solid, even thought the ones i played were LIGHT! I think the bassist for santana Used to play one. he plays that BTB now.

3. This one is pretty sexy? From the Lightwave site...

[​IMG]

4. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    A friend of mine plays a six string Kingbass and it is a great sounding bass. It has alot of growl. The pick ups are Tune soapbars but they have a tone similar to Bartolini's.

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Oddentity has a sweet Tune.

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Indeed! :D

Odie, I replied to your PM...

7. wyrtti

wyrtti Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I have a Tune 5-string. It is different from any Tune that I have ever seen advertised or one the Tune web page or on the Tune fan-club web page. (No, I don't have a picture)

I bought it used in 1991 and have been having a love/hate relationship with it since about 1999.

It has a P/J combination of pickups, 2 volumes and tone with a push-pull thing (The pull seems to activate a treble boost which is controlled by one of the pots on the inside). 3 tiny pots in the electronics cavity. I've tried playing with these, but have had trouble finding the perfect balance...so I've kept on fiddling with them. :)

I say love/hate relationship, because in a way I dislike the sound or have grown tired of it, but when I take it with me to music stores to compare to other basses, it beats most of them hands down. It has a very big and warm bottom, very little mids and a very aggravating high end. When I cut the highs though, it sounds like mud. One funny thing is that it records quite nicely through my SWR Grand Prix. Very warm sound and somehow the recording process looses those aggravating highs. I love the slap sound it produces, but I don't play any slap... :) though when I do do a pull-off or slap it, it delivers.

The bass is light. The neck is not very wide, which I like, but it still has nice spacing at the bridge.

I have now truly determined that I want a new bass, but will definitely keep the Tune. It has served me very well for 11 years, even though I have said rough words about it.

Btw, the Tune website:
    http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~tune/

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I really like the Space Bass. It's pointy, but in a good way. Since they're custom made, I'd have to get one in 35" or less. 36" is a wee too big, IMHO.