1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wondering if I should downsize my rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by autodidact, Dec 23, 2011.

1. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    The rig as it stands now consists of: a Hartke LH1000 head, a Legion EMI-410 cab and a Mesa PH410 cab. Its very loud and I like the sound I get out of it just fine but I'm on my way after work to pick up a used Sans Amp BDDI at Guitar Center (their price on it beats all those I saw listed on the classifieds here, I checked haha).

My thinking is, the Hartke and the Mesa are definitely loud enough together for smaller/medium sized gigs and once I get the Sans Amp chances are that the larger venues are going to run my signal direct from that.

Im wondering if the second 410 just too much at that point? Part of me loves the "big rig" look but from a mobile standpoint I'm not sure if it would just be easier without the Legion.

Anybody want to chip in and sway me either way? Why or why should I not hang onto this other cab?

2. What kind of music are you playing? Also sometimes you need that image of many cabs behind your back... Then again Geddy Lee played for a long time with Sansamp straight to the PA but then he had washing machines behind his back to compensate for that.

3. Garry Tallent (bassist for Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band) has been known to use a Hartke head/410XL cab for stage volume, even in HUGE stadiums. He runs direct; the Hartke does not provide any FOH tone, as far as I know.

Unless you're doing large outdoor PA-less gigs, a 410 should do it.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like big rigs, but in all practicality, a 410 will do just fine by itself.

5. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Playing some stoner rock with a bit of punk mixed in. I like the low end I get with 2 cabs, it might just be me but I like feeling it in my chest. I'm just not sure if volume will be a factor once the Sansamp comes into play.

6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    A strong consideration is where does your playing fit in your band. If I am the whole bottom I tend to need more speaker area even if I'm not loud. If I'm 1/4 of the way up the mix I can use less.

It never hurts to have a little or a lot more than you need.:)

7. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I'm the bottom. No keyboard and we play standard tuning so downtuned guitarists aren't an issue. I play with the master volume set on 2 or 3 during practice and we practice at full volume I'm not sure if that counts as overkill ha

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i think you answered your own question!

if you love the sound you're getting, and its your identity, there's little reason beyond that to change.

but my own personal needs is usually "just enough to keep up with the band". obnoxious guitars? i bring my obnoxious setup. quieter than quiet cabaret gig? smallest thing i can bring on the subway.

and frankly, we all could use a break when its load out time @ 2am, and going lighter is always welcomed.