Wondering what everyone thinks of this design...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMan257, Mar 17, 2006.

1. hey just want to see what you guys think of this design i drew up... if this kind of thing isnt allowed in the general forum feel free to tell me...

it may or may not have a pickguard, i just thought it might look cool on an ash body or something... something with really nice burled wood or spalted stuff prolly wouldnt have the guard...

just tell me what you think!
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Rickenbacker on acid.
  3. jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    Im sorry to have to bring this up, but did you really have to 'bump' the thread? Its been up for 3 hours man...

I personally dont like it, its too space-age for my tastes

Keep it up though :)
  4. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey

I think you might tear your left hand off if you go for a sudden high note.:p
    Iceman inspired or Warwick?
    Looks cool
  5. Oh that's pretty cool looking. Like a neo-RIC design or something.
  6. TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    I like that design I'm bringing up a sketch of mine soon. Have you decided on the fretboard yet?

7. firstly, it was on a different page before i bumped, secondly, if you cared to notice earlyer than why didnt you comment? im just curious...

Inspiration: not really any... i mean, i hate to say it, i wasnt even thinking about rics when i drew it... just what I thought was appealing to the eye... I like angular basses with slight curves... this is what popped out... so that might say somethign about rics... lol

fingerboard: unless it screams frets, id like to stay away for now... i have no tools to do this with, and i mean, i could allways install frets later...

Ill prolly put on a different "end" to the fingerboard when I do it... some sort of angular swoop to kinda match... I was just trying to make sure parameters were correct when i drew it...

any thoughts about the picguard?

Ill take some pics of my stencil on the piece of wood ive got and post em soon...

hmm... the real question is how many hits? lol...

well, i certanly wouldnt know... ive never, and will never mess with the stuff
  8. RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    So true. I would keep the pickguard. It looks a lot better that way.
  9. [​IMG]

here she blows!

the bass is quite angular in the template.. I just havent gotten a chance to smooth it out...
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Judging by that neck slot, it'll be for sale shortly after completion.
  11. um an explination will be nice... you mean its not set far enough in?

or to far.. or what?

i mean, i really want to listen to what you have to say, because your opinion means something to me, im not just going to brush you all off and be like "well im better than them" or anything...

help/assistance is allways welcomed
  12. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The neck pocket has a LOT of taper to it. The neck won't be able to taper like that and still be playable. That's what he meant.

BTW, looks too much like a LeCompte. I would get rid of the little cut in the bottom, and it would look a lot less like one, but still look pretty good.

And BTBTW, I like how LeCompte basses look
  13. yeah.. the pocket wasnt drawn/cut to scale.. i should prolly just cut it off.. it was really just to know where the center line is to line it up right...

and i know you like LeCompte basses... you said so earlyer ^_^
  14. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Thanks. Sorry for not posting that.
  15. 8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Ibanez Iceman done to the extreme.....Nothing new to be seen hear folks, Move along.
  16. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I really don't see the whole Iceman reference... more Lecompte than anything, but a bit more modern and pointy. I like it, but a few more rounded edges wouldn't hurt.
  17. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Like others have said, I'm just seeing a Lecompte. Maybe a stretched out, slightly pointier one, but still. But who cares, really? If it's for you, do whatever you want.

Also, I'd say keep the guard. Looks pretty cool with it.
  18. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    I really dig it dude, it looks fantastic, a bit like a caricature of a rick (I mean that in a good way, understand!). I would agree with pennydreadful on keeping the scratch plate, it complements the body countour really nicely. But it is of course your design, so do what looks good for you!