Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wondering What Year bass this is

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neo742, Sep 5, 2005.

1. neo742

neo742

Sep 5, 2005
    I have a Fender Precision Bass that my dad had stored away in his attic and he found it and was going to sell it at a tag sale but i took it instead, I was wondering what year it might be and how much it might be worth. My dad bought it used in 1972 and he said it seemed to be well played when he got it. It is a Precision bass and is in good condition. It has a black and orange type color to it on the body. I forget exactly what the number on the back neckplate was but as soon as I get it I will post it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yup, get that serial number. You can date it pretty well from there.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Its worth about $150. Fender Precision basses are not very highly regarded except for the new ones, but you seem like a nice guy and I'll do you a favor by taking it off your hands for $200.
    :D :bag: ;)

4. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    If it's black and orange, my preliminary guess is that it's somewhere between 1954 and 2005. More than likely pre-1972 going by the other info.

Yep, the serial number will get us really close. Pictures of the headstock and other features may help us too.

Wish my dad just uncovered a vintage P.

5. It sounds like you're describing a " 3 color sunburst" finish...gradually turning from black on the edges to reddish/brownish and finally yellow in the center.

6. neo742

neo742

Sep 5, 2005
    The serial number off of the neckplate is 165113

I will try to post the pictures.

Thanks for your help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. That serial number places it somewhere between 1966 and 1967. The headstock definitely has a '65-'72 style "transition" logo, and rosewood was mostly replaced by maple as primary fingerboard wood in the early 70s. So I believe it's a '66 or '67. Nice bass!

8. Well... after seeing the pics, I disagree with Jimmy's assessment. :eyebrow: Probably only worth around $75, but I'm a generous guy; I'll give you the full $150, since it's already been mentioned, and pay your shipping fee just to be gracious. Hate to see you stuck with something you'll regret later in life! ;)

All kidding aside; nice looking bass! Congrats! :D

9. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Mr. Neo, I am sure that you have heard from someone that that bass is worth a lot of money. Don't sell it without knowing what you can get for it.

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yup...I agrees...From what I can tell, it is in that ballpark. For a more exact date, if you're comfortable with it...take off the neck. There should be a date stamped on the heel.

Or you could take it to a reputable shop and have them do it for you. As a word of wisdom, though...don't let it out of yer site at a shop you don't know. Unscrupulous techs have been known to strip parts and replace them with replica parts...to sell them on the vintage market.

That bass could be worth some cabbage, especially in that condition...very clean!

11. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    That's one of the last years for the nitrocellulous finish, of which I'm a big fan. I highly covet your bass.

If your dad just gave that to you, he deserves at least a big hug. If that's your first bass...man, what a way to get started!

12. neo742

neo742

Sep 5, 2005
    Yea, he was cleaning out his attic for a tag sale and he said to take anything that I wanted. I saw it and was like "I'd rather take it than have him sell it for cheap to someone" lol

Thanks for all your help guys. i will probably hang on to it for a little while until I know exactly what the date is (i will probably take off the neck or bring it somewhere). I will post back if I find out any more info.
    Thanks again

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    As a word of caution, in original shape, if it is of the era mentioned yer bass could be worth in the several thousand dollar range.

14. neo742

neo742

Sep 5, 2005
    yea, It has all the original parts to it but its not in mint condition, it has a few spots but not too many

Thanks for the advice

15. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    "angry words people say"

Have fun :).

16. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    depends on what your definition of not mint is... for abass that old, the finish could be torn to shreds and be considered pretty near mint.

does it have belt rash on the back? does it look like it has been played a lot or just old?

that is an expensive bass... have fun with it.. I also wish my dad had one..

now that I think about it.. .I shoul go tag sale shopping more often... :ninja:

btw... yours being a 67 is worth about 5 grand.. and since it is in pretty good condition maybe more... a 64 is going on ebay for 6400, and a 70 is going for 4800.. so yours is probably somewhere in between those..

and for those wondering, a 59 is priced at 11.

17. That being said...

Do you play bass? This could be quite a great bass for you to use! Did you dad play? I'm curious of the history of the bass. Cool find! A friend of mine found a Fender Bassman head with the original cab in a basement of a little old lady that sold it to him for pennys just to get it out of the basement! I'm envious, 'specially since he's a GUITAR player! It's amazing what's out there to find. Tell more! :D

18. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Wow! This is something that just doesn't happen!
    From the blurry images it looks like the bass is in fantastic shape considering it's age.
    Do you have the covers for the bridge and pickup?

19. neo742

neo742

Sep 5, 2005
    My dad bought it in 1972 or 73 from someone who played it and he started playing for a couple of years. Other than that it has been sitting in the case in his attic for about 30 or so years. I don't play bass yet but I might just pick it up because of this. I just started playing guitar and I have an acoustic and an electric. It plays well and there aren't any major problems with it. Just a scratch here and there i think.

20. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Geez, all my dad has is a '65 L-series Mustang, and a MINT '78 Mustang. And they're not even Mustang basses. :crying: