Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wondering

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by dragonetti11, Jun 20, 2002.

1. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    hi, just wondering for any of you when you were 16 or 17 or if any of you are, what pieces where you playing or what was your playing level????

thank you!!!

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm happy for/jealous of both of you. I grew up in a small town in northern Wisconsin, where there was no bass program at the high school level, so at that point I was pretty much banging out jazz standards on the otherwise unused school bass. My main instrument at the time was trumpet, so I got REAL familiar with the classical repertoire. Also played a lot of guitar professionally for some years, but the bass is what's supported me financially since my teens-Dad's a drummer, and he got me gigging when he realized that I could play. I wish I'd gotten the start on formal bass training that you guys have.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Don't dismiss your training. My experience over the years indicates to me that it's easier to overcome a lack of traditional teaching (classical bass technique, repetoire, etc) than it is to overcome learning to use your ears, instincts, compose interactively and in real time, and the other skills that your father has given you access to. I'm currently in a scramble to get a hold of the same things that you seem to indicate that you want, my father being a musician and giving me the same start that you have had. It just takes more persistence the older you are....

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Actually, Ray, I probably had the ideal introduction to bass for someone in my current situation, as most of my work is in the jazz world. That early, constant exposure to music has helped me immeasurably over the years. I also got valuable melodic training from my years as a trumpet player, and lots of harmonic knowledge as a guitarist. The only time I really wish for more bass training is when I do the occasional arco stuff, and that's coming along pretty nicely now as well. Like most people, I've gotten better at learning HOW to learn, so improvement comes faster, and information is retained better than when I was younger. Education never ends, thank God.