Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wonky Pickup Mounting Screws

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Milothicus, Mar 12, 2003.

1. I've had my mim jazz for about 3 years now, and finally decided to replace the pickups. got a set of EMG-J from ebay.....

now the pickup screws were not in the right place for the stock pickups....they didn't move up and down at all on the screws, and tightening the screws put lots of pressure on the pickups, instead of just moving them up and down.

now that i put in new pickups, the misalignment is even more apparent. i could barely mount the bloody pickups, let alone have any kind of useful height adjustment.

i want to drill new holes. would it be ok to drill the existing holes bigger (1/4" or 1/2"), glue dowel pieces in and redrill? or is it not good to mount pickups in the endgrain of dowel? i'm pretty sure i can get access to a drill press to ensure verticality (new word), but i'm just wondering if anyone's had to do this to their bass and if it's a good idea...

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If it were me, I would just fill the existing holes with epoxy. Let it harden and drill the new holes. The epoxy will hold at least as well if not better than the wood.

Chas