Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

woo hoo!!! finally got one of em

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Apr 4, 2001.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    finally, i got one of my "new" basses. actually, this is the one with the new fretless maple neck on one of my older basses.

the neck in this picture...

[​IMG]

was put on this bass...

[​IMG]

i'll get a pic up as soon as i can.

2. Cool, JT.. just in time for the get-together!

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    how much does one of those bad-boys set you back JT?

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Sooooooooo, whatcha gonna do with the old neck? Don't suppose it's for sale to fund a new Conklin from bassalone, or anything....

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    nah, i traded the old one in on the new one.

oh, and gbrooks, they usually cost me between US$3000 and US$4000 depending on what's on 'em. not too bad, considering.

6. Gah! Thats a lot of money. But, you DO get something noone else has. And a lot of strings.

Oh, yea, they look really cool.

I wanna know how they do the crazy wavy looking paint stuff.

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Eeek! That would buy me a gazillion Rogues! :p Well, I guess Rogue doesn't make the 7 stringers anyways... if they did, would you be pissed? ;) I haven't spent more than $500 on any piece of my equipment. But sometimes I do wonder what the other world is like. :)

8. congrads, JT always nice to see a new family member. :D

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

heck no. i'd love it if more people offered 7's for sale. give me some variety. :D

oh, and Nomadic Herder, that's not paint. that's the natural wood colors, different pieces of wood cut and then fitted together. bill calls that a "melted top" because it looks like all the wood is melted together.

on the body of the bass, the woods are walnut on top, purple heart and then quilted maple on the bottom. none of my basses are painted - it's all the natural wood color.

10. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    J,T do the diffrent wood on the necks get a diffrent sounds in those particular spots?

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey old_skool

i've never noticed a difference, nor was one intended, really. the strips are there purely for aesthetics.

12. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    thats cool but what about on the body. would several diffrent wood combinations affect the tone of the bass in anyway?

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    that's what bill conklin calls a "melted top." it's actually not paint at all, but different types of wood that have been cut to fit together...if you look on JT's website, which i have a couple times :eek: ...drool... there is a pretty cool little part in there where it shows the building process of that crazy doubleneck he has :D it has a CRAZEE melted top...well, mebbe not melted, but multilaminate...anyway, same principle... :D

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, JT...that bass is gonna be schaweet! so, uhhhh....where's that hollow body at? hmmmmm??? heheh.......

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    not soon enough, believe me. :D bill's been working on them - he's been backlogged almost a year's worth. he told me about a month ago that he was painting the hollowbody, so that should be done by now. i'm probably gonna call him and bug him about them in a week or two.