WOO HOO!! Larry Kaye and Brad this is your fault....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BIg O, Aug 12, 2002.

1. ..and thanks!!!

So after convincing Larry in his recent thread that F Bass is the only choice for him, TB'ers like Brad (and myself) talked me into looking for a birthday present. I was thinking of a new BN5, but George brought out this one-of-a-kind blue Studio, and after playing it for less than 5 minutes, I was blown away. Everything was what I liked about F Basses plus this baby had a little more bottom end and lots of finger room for slap/pop. This one will replace my passive BN6 (no it's not for sale) as my primary bass as of now!!

Hope the pics look OK, its a new camera and I didn't have much time before sunset today. The blue actually has a few layers of red in the finish, and so it changes colour depending on how the light hits it.

Only one problem - George has a BN5 almost ready in a GORGEOUS natural finish, with a flamed maple neck. I'm thinking I SHOULD have a backup - right? (He's holding it for me for a few days....I better sell the house FAST!)[​IMG]
  2. This sort of shows how the colours change with the light![​IMG]
  3. Hipshot Ultra-Lites - the only non-standard part
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    very cool. just curious, what's the benefit of having ultralite tuners on there? i would think the extra mass of the standard tuners would help with sustain.
  5. George had made this a "science project", and originally included some "experimental" single coils as well as the Ultra-Lites. After playiing it with the single-coils (lots of Growl, good P-Bass sound in passive mode as well), I had him swap them out for his regular hum-cancellers - much quieter, but still enough bite for me in single-coil mode. (Actually, after swapping to his standard pickups, George liked the more even mid response as well, and said "That's it, to he** with the single coil experiment")

I was happy with the sustain - after I asked, George did say that he would swap out the Ultra-Lites if I wanted to after playing it for a while. (I didn't want to leave it, and had already waited 1.5 hrs while he swapped out the PUPS) So far I am happy! (But I just relieved that GAS, so maybe it needs time to settle........);)
  6. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Oh wow. Look at all those knobs and the colors! Nice bass. Just alittle quirk that gets me is why do those screws on the pickups have to be so visible. I like how the pickups are colored to match the body, but the screws take away big time from the whole camouflaged-in look. Maybe some painted screws would do the trick.

Otherwise, sweeet bass. Have fun with it! :)
  7. In real life, they aren't as apparent except up close. Good call, though - I'll ask about it. My old BN6 is a darker natural oil finish, and the screws are dark brown. I think he still does that with the natural finish basses.

He does one model regularly for an NYC dealer (George calls it the New York Bass) which is all black, chrome bridge, pegs AND knobs. The chromed screws look like they belong on that one!
  8. I was a victim of the evil F Bass mafia as well... I should have my new baby on Thursday or Friday, but I probably won't start a thread about it (won't have pics) for a while.
  9. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Great Basses, I had the chance to play one of Alain Caron's fretted 6ers for a few minutes...loved it..
  10. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
  11. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Sorry, I just read my emails with the picture I just sent, I was so excited I forgot to comment on your new baby. It's gojus. I love blue, any kind of blue, it doesn't matter what flavor.

Best of luck, let me know how the pickups work for you.

Brad, you're the GAS DEVIL!!! You're an EVIL MAN

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    F Bass? Did I say F Bass? I meant E Bass.

Congrats guys... they look sweet:D
  13. Larry, you will love that BN5 - great choice of colour BTW!! Real purrty lookin'.

To play blues, you need a blue bass - it's in the rules....
  14. Well, since everyone seems to be in the posting mood....

I've got this one on the way courtesy of TB's own Gibsongeek and the fine folks at Rock City Guitar.

(yes, the pic was sideways on their site as well)

15. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    How much for one of this babies?
  16. Beautilful basses, guys!

17. Millions!!!......of lira.;)
    (List price on the F Bass website will give a clue for new ones.)
  18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    LMAO!!!!:D :D

All three of those basses look beautiful!!!!! COngrats to all.
  19. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Congrats Big O ! VERY nice bass !
    Such donations are welcome, I can PM you my postal address if you want ;) :)

All the best,