Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woo hoo. New bass and amp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ga_edwards, Jan 22, 2001.

1. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Finally took charg of my new Warwick Thumb BO 5-string, and CCL amp, for the bargain price of £1800.

It's a fantastic sounding combination, and should last me a good many years.

Just thought you might all like to know.

PS., the new band I'm in, I think is going to break all records for the 'pub band with most expensive gear' title.
    What with my new set-up, my bro's PRS and Line 6 amp, and the other guitarist's Gordon Smith with Roland VG8 and Marshall combo, and 2 PA systems between us. At least we can fool people into thinking we'll sound good :)

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Good for you !
    Please post some review of the CCL later because I'm really interested in buying one.
    I tried it in a store and like the sound a lot.
    Even my 5-strings B was sounding cool :D
    Will you rehearse and/or gig with it and you're band without PA ?
    If so, tell me if it's powerfull enough to be heard with a pair of rock "where's the 11 on the volume knob ?" guitarists ?

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I've got the CCL with the 15" speaker, and 250w output. There is a 180w 2x10" version, which has an extra speaker out, for say a 15" cab. There is also the 150w 1x12", which is a lot smaller, but not as powerful.

Warwick have opted for a more conventional 3 band eq, rather than the more modern 7 or 12 band graphic. One of the great features here though, is you can choose which frequency the mid control affects, making it very quick to dial up a good sound. There are bass and treble boost buttons, to give that extra oompf when needed, and attack control, which when used wisely, can cut out finger noise without affecting the crisp treble. As well as the usual limiter, there is the fantastic punch control. This allows you to go from a reall mellow jazz/blues sounds to a full throttle Jack Bruce growl. The mute switch and headphone out complete the front panel.

Round the back, there's the usual compliment of line out, fx send and return, di out without pre/post eq switch, tuner out and groundlift switch. There's also a sub sonic switch which (I think), gives the impression of extra bass at higher volumes, when it normally gets lost. One more handy feature round the back is the built in luggae handle and wheels. Also proper grab handles on the side, none of those stupid rubber handles on the top.

The ouput of it really does belie its size, and it'll definitely last me for years to come, though if I do run short on volume I'll run it through the PA as well. I think that their amps are tailored to work best with their basses, so if you play a Warwick, you'll have fantastic sound from the start, but if you don't, take your bass into the shop and crank it up.

BTW, it doesn't just go up to 11, this baby goes right up to 12!

4. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Thx for the answer.
    I've already tried it in a shop with my BassCollection 5-Strings (with Bartolini active Pickups but no preamp ... yet).
    And I really liked the sound(s) you can get out of this fat baby.
    But my only concern left before buying it (beyond money ;) is volume.
    Will it be loud enough to rehearse and play gig in small venue without PA ?
    That's why I need your experience with it :)

5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I've yet to gig it, as I've only had it a couple of days, but when I do, I'll let you all know, but I t should be more than ample for small venues.

If you need more than 250w for rehearsing with, then you're band is doing something wrong, and you won't be doing you're ears much good either.

I used to use (up until this week) a Trace Elliot BLX80, which is a 1x10" 80w combo, and surprisingly powerful. This never got turned up much past half for rehearsals. When gigging with backing tracks it could just about cope in small pubs and clubs, and with some drummers, I nearly had to run it flat out, (except one, who thought he was the hier to Kieth Moon, I had to run through PA then).I done a large hall gig with it too, and it just about coped again.

This amp will definitly cope for my needs, and I'm playing everything from hard rock to pop, funk and jazz. It will stand up to even the loudest drummer and two guitars. the trick is, is for the band to mix their volume levels around the drummer, if the kit is un-miked. I seen a lot of bands, where every member tries to play 1 louder than the others, and it just ends up becoming a mess, plus you don't hear the drummer, also you might not think the bass is loud enough, as it takes a bit of air to develop the sound. Try standing out front, or get a friend with good ears to tell you what the mix is like. I personaly reckon, you shouldn't need to turn the CCL up more than half to compliment the drummer. Get the guitarists mix right after you've sorted out the drums and bass (they might not like it, but tough), then vocals. You should find you have plenty of headroom left.

When you play in places where the kit is miked, almost always the rest of the band is put through the PA as well, your amps are then just there so you can hear it.

But to get back to the point, I really do think the CCL should be more than enough for rehearsals, and ample for small gigs. I've even done a few relatively small gigs where every one was whacked through the PA, so I don't really think it's worth worrying about. But if you can't be heard out front in a small venue, (remembering it's not what you hear that counts, it what the audience hears which is the main thing) then the band is probably playing to loud, tell them to turn down. The audience will like that, more than being deafened. (Oh yeah, the guitarists will grow out of the louder is better syndrome, and realise that tone and audience enjoyment is more important)

6. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Ok thx in advance.

I don't feel like I need more than 250W. The rehearsal studio my band rents currently is equiped with a 300W Hartke amp and a 4*10" Genz-Benz Cabinet. I rarely put the gain beyond 5 and volume beyond 2. But the sound is crappy cause the cab is so used (10h/day of playing with such different bassists would kill any cab). Thus, I need "my" sound and a combo loud engough to play small gig. That's all. I was convinced the CCL was enough (even if some of the Talkerbass-ers may say 300W is a minimum) but I'll be completly sure with your testimony.

With my previous bands, I always had played on too smalls amp (<100W, Low-end Peavey kind) =>distorsion, bad EQing ... sum it up => really bad bass sound. I don't want this to happen again. I want to have enough watts, so that I won't have to crank the amp up to ... 12, in this case ;)