Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woo hoo!! New bike!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jason Carota, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Just picked up a 2004 Specialized P.3 the other day. This ridiculously cold Winter has me itching to ride. Unfortunately, most trails (especially Lynn Woods, my local favorite) are still closed for the season.

Any other TB MTB'ers getting ready for the new season?

2. thats awesome, un urxgubf ri eusw rii.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Lynn Woods? There is a town called Lynnwood north of me.

I bought my wife a cool Mongoose mountain bike, and a Specialized helmet last week.

-Mike

4. Notice he lives in a very different state than you. :p

I have a mountain bike, and I enjoy riding, but there aren't many good places to ride in RI.

Kaz :rolleyes: :smug:

5. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    i have a first generation P3, has yours got the picture of the naked woman on the bottom bracket shell?

6. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Nope, just the serial number.

7. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Hmmph that defeats the whole idea of calling it a P3, (page 3 girl), well apart from the centre-fold tubing...

Very nice buy man, you should be proud!

8. Nice ride! The P3 can take lots of abuse..

I'm itching to get back on my bike. Last season got cut short by a crash in august which left me with a broken right humerus..... :meh:

I've got to get a new handlebar to replace the one I bent in the crash..:D Can't wait to get back on the bike though! I ride a Rocky Switch.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah...I wasn't thinking it was a typo or nothing. Just an observation.

-Mike

10. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    You're going to hang the bent bar up as a trophy, right? ;)

The Switch is a sweet bike. Very popular around here.

11. Went out on my bike the other night having not ridden in 3 weeks. Nearly flipped clean over the bars after I tried hopping up a 3ft wall but, to put it mildly, my sense of timing is a little out after having no practise!

12. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Trials or street?

I know what you mean about downtime and loss of timing. Plently of crashes from that for me. :) I'm thinking of heading to the skate park down the street tonight to get warmed up a bit. Although I may need to bring a shovel to clear some snow.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    HEY!!

No bikes at the skate park! :D

-Mike

14. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Sweet bike :)

Must get out on my Azonics more - not many jump sites around here though so I just tend to end up riding my XC bike...

Funny, "no bikes at the skate park" is what they say round here at least until the old balding guy on the mtb goes BIG that is !
    [​IMG]

15. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Haha. The skaters around here don't seem to mind me riding around. There is also an indoor place in New Hampshire called Rye Airfield that allows BMX and MTBs.

Cat:

Is that one of your Azonics (DS 1?) in the photo? A buddy of mine has one of those. Sweet ride.

16. Awesome deal Jason, I was looking to get into a more urban bike then the one i have now since i ride mostly with a local BMX crew and a 27 speed cross country bike is a bit hard for them to keep up with :cool: The P2 or 3 is deffinetely on my list of bikes for urban/dirt riding along with the kona stuff or roast.

My current ride is a 2002 Kona Cinder cone which now sports shimano mechanical discs, new XT rear derailer, and a new custom rear wheel with an XT hub laced to a 36 spoke AtomLabs Trailpimp disc rim with 14g stainless spoke...Its uber sweet. :cool:

17. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Sure sounds it....Trail Pimps....yummy. :bassist:

You mentioned the Kona Stuff is on your list, too. For the last few years, I have been riding a Giant AC-1 (1st gen.) and a Kona Stuff. It is a great bike, try one out if you get the chance. I gave the Stuff to my girlfriend and retired the Giant at the end of last season, which gave me a couple excuses to get the P.3. :)

18. Yeah, i really might just go for a new Kona stuff fram if i can find it and swap out the parts on my cinder cone. I'll already be in good shape with that new bomb-proof rear wheel i got on a cross country bike :eek: and the rest of the components will just swap over niceley but i'll need a beefier fork...any suggestions? i have heard good things of the marzocchi dirt jumper series, how about your opinions on that fork?

19. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The P.3 is the first bike with a DJ series fork that I have ridden. Haven't been on it too much (the bike is a few days old.) However, my gf's Stuff has a 2003 Rock Shox Psylo SL. Excellent fork for urban/jumps. Very plush and light.

20. Yup!

I love my Switch. I've got a 2002 and of course they've redesigned and improved it since then :rolleyes:. The 2004 is a monster. I want one. But I can't get a new bike until next year at the least.... Oh well! :D

Speaking of forks, I had trouble with the Manitou Black that came on the bike. Wrong fork for it, if you ask me. After sending it back to Manitou twice in 3 weeks, they stepped up to the plate and upgraded me to a Sherman Flick, gratis (with some input form Rocky, I think...). Anyone looking at a new fork should give one a go. Very plush, and the tpc+ damping really makes it feel nice. It's probably the stiffest (i.e. very little flex) single crown fork I've ever used, too. Plus, I had a very positive experience with Manitou service and that kind of thing goes a long way. ;)

Anyway, my season won't start until late April, so I'm jealous of any of you guys who get to ride now!