Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

woo hoo, new power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by john turner, Oct 2, 2003.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i've been putting off getting my "real" rig together for gigs, since my trace elliot was so reliable and sounded so good, but the dump it took at the gig last friday sorta forced the issue.

for a long time i was running a bgw performance series 3 - nice amp, but heavy, and not really enough power for my purposes - 300w/side into 8 ohms.

so today i went out and got...

(drumroll)

a QSC 3002

woohoo, what a great amp, and jeeze, how light can you go? when i picked up the box the first time at the store i almost thought it was empty. :D

so now my "real" rig will be getting the call for gigs (aguilar db680, marshall jmp1, axon ax100sb and various other stuff). this is good, since it will give me more of a reason to start integrating the bass synth stuff into the gigs.

as for the trace, it's way too cool of an amp to just get discarded. i'll get it fixed and then it'll be the dh to the main rig.

oh, well, i just thought i'd share the good news over here. as i get everything hooked up i'll share my impressions, which i'm sure will be favorable.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Nice score!

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    woo hoo!

4. My current rig has a QSC RMX 850. Darn solid for 300 new!

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sweet, kaz. is that one really light too? i don't know much about the rmx series.

6. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    Nice Score! Now your makin' me feel all inadaquate with my PLX1602...

:D

7. Whoa! Awesome! How loud is it? :D

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it's ludicrous loud!

[​IMG]

9. NICE SCORE!!![​IMG]

Don't be surprised if you get a slight change in sound with that much headroom.

10. Awesome John! Let us know how it works out for you.

Will you be running everything else in your rig with it as well?

11. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    What are the specs on it? The wattage to ohm ratio. From what ive heard, qsc is an awesome brand. Can i have your old one?:D ;) jk.

nakoa

12. [Jealousy] Excellent choice! What cabs are you running that will make use of all that power? And more importantly, why didn't you just go all-out and get the 3402? The difference is so miniscule, and you know you want the biggest one ;)

Regarding the RMX series: nope, anything but "really light," more like "ass heavy." I've got an RMX 1850HD, it's about 45 lbs...that's no SVT, but a 60-70lb rack still sucks after a hard gig. It's a great amp otherwise though, and for $440 spankin' new and shipped, I can't complain. QSC = Quality Sh**...Capiche? :D

13. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Raspberry jam.......only one man would use raspberry jam..........
    Lonestar!
    (sorry..I love that movie and sounds like you scored a great amp. Congrats)

14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Just bought a PLX 3002 myself, to replace my too damn heavy Mackie M1400. I'm having it converted to 230v power and my brother's going to bring it over to the UK for me on his next trip back. Can't wait!

Alex

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i have a switchblade 16x16 midi controllable router, so i will be using that to route all my bass and synth signals in various configurations. gotta program it now :eek: :D

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i may be selling the bgw, nice amp, has been faithful for about 6 years now, just a bit heavy for me.

the specs are here...

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/plx/plx.htm

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, i have a yamaha pa sub, 1x18 and hartke guitar cabs, 4x12". the 4x12"s will be severely overpowered :D but the sub will be nicely driven, i think, and more importantly, when i finally upgrade the sub to the _real deal_ (haven't decided on what that will be yet) i will have the power to handle it (either a big honkin' 21" or one of the bag end closed box elf deals).

18. I have PLX2402 and although it works great for me in Bridged or Parallel modes, I wish I would have popped for a 3002 which has the same input sensitiviy rating as the 2402. MY point is the 3402 has an even higher rating and can disappoint you if your gear won't get it up to full volumne potential. Do some searches to clarify that better, or maybe Bob Lee will chime in. Anyway a 3002 should be plenty for any Bass appllication with the available preamps that most of us use.

Do the research before you buy!!!!! :eek:

19. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I've just looked through the manual and all the PLX amps have the same amount of gain, 32dB, so the more powerful the amp, the higher the input voltage needed to drive it to full power. (1.5v forthe 2402, 1.7v for the 3002, 1.9v for the 3402, @ 8 ohms).

Alex

20. Thanks Alex
    Yes, input voltage not what I said. I just remember the flurry of posts on PLX amps this past few months and that was turning out to be a concern for some. I myself thought, just get the biggest one and be done with it. I'm still not sure that is the way to go. If I get another PLX it's going to be a 3002 for the extra head-room. I really never like bridging before, but that is how I run my 2402 all the time now that I found the comfort zone for my gear. All my Bergs sound superb running in Bridged. My two small HT/EX cabs sound good in Parallel too in small rooms were I don't need to crank it up that much. My NV610 is Bridged all the time, sounds fabulous.