Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woo-hoo! Was given a new MM Sterling for Yule today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Dec 15, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Today, I drove the wife and mother-in-law into the City for shopping. On the way back out, I decided to stop at the local Guitar Center which was on the way.

After about ten minutes of my checking out the new Mesa Walkabout head (very nice, by the way - easy to create the infamous South Park "Brown Note" with the parametric EQ), my mother-in-law walked up and dropped a bombshell.

She and my wife had decided I was like a pig in mud in the store, so I should get a new bass as a Yule gift!

I already have a Ric, and just picked up a used AmStd Jazz last week, so I have the single-coil sound well covered. I've been idly looking at various humbucker basses for a while, but have never been able to warm to P necks. I more or less made up my mind that I would look at MM Sterlings if/when the time ever came for a humbucker bass.

The only Sterling they had at GC was an unlined fretless, so we took a cruise up to Sam Ash to see if they had any in stock. I fully expected that I would have to order one in from somewhere and wait a few months, but they had a Sterling that they were literally unpacking and hanging for the first time - the last one in stock. I had some fun beating them up on the price, too.

I wanted poplar and rosewood, which this one is. It's Pearl Blue with a natural headstock and 3-band, no piezo - once again, exactly how I wanted it, although I was open on color (as long as it wasn't black). It has a black PG, which I'll probably replace with white pearl or black pearl.

I had to tell someone about this! GAS is fun! Do I have a great family, or what?

It looks identical to this one from JimFriar's thread:

[​IMG]

2. Duff_Man182

Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    *drool* u lucky bastard u

3. I have to buy mine!! Let me know how you like it! Also-do you know where to get a p/guard-think I will go with white perloid if I can get one.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    mmm.. very nice.. My ray 5 is the exact same color. i have a black peloid pickguard on mine.. if you put white pearl o it.. post a pic.. :)

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This thing is heaven! It plays very much like my AmStd Jazz (similar neck feel), and was instantly comfortable. (I was ready to give up on 34" scale until I found my Jazz last week - the neck really fits me well.) Weight and balance are perfect.

The active electronics are GREAT! I'm going to have a hard time keeping my Jazz passive after this. It's going to take awhile to learn how to dial in, especially with the series/single/hum switching.

Two great new basses in two weeks - this is almost as good as having a 12" d... nah, on second thought it's not, but it is pretty damn good.

6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    ummm whats YULE?

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yule (yl)
    n.
    Christmas, or the season or feast celebrating Christmas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Middle English yole, from Old English gel.]

It's amazing what you can find on the internet if you are willing to do 5 seconds of research.

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I lucked out today and was able to pick up a brand new white pearl pickguard for $30 shipped off eBay. I was tipped off by a fellow poster on another board, and was able to nab it just a few hours after the auction started.

I love the "build your bass" feature at the Ernie Ball homepage:

http://www.ernieball.com/mmonline/build/

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Close, but in our case it's the original holiday - we be Pagans here.

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Congrats, Sterlings are great.
    Mine has a maple board, though. :)

Tell us what you think, then. :)

11. Congrats! Those are fine basses :)

As Cartman would sing,"So Merry Freakin' Christmas to you!"

South Park: It's SO wrong, yet so entertaining.

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, I just dragged myself outta the bedroom/practice room for a few minutes.

This thing is freakin' INCREDIBLE! It fits me incredibly well, and the tonal variety is stunning!

I don't much care for the factory roundwound strings (much too zingy and too much finger noise), but they're brand new, too. I got Sam Ash to throw in a set of Rotosound Steve Harris 50-110 flatwounds, which were the only flats in the store. I'll probably hold off changing strings until I find either a set of GHS Pressurewounds, which I like on my Ric, or a set of Fender 45-105 9050 flats, which I just put on my Jazz and like so far.

Back to the bedroom! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk...

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Don't yell at me, tell Dictionary.com to change their entry.

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    :D No yellin' here, my friend - I was just clarifying!

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    By the way, I finally had to stop - my fingers are starting to look like hamburger. Damn roundwounds!

16. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Nice bass Ken. :D

Sounds like you need those pressurewounds.

17. Happy Yule!!! :)

Wish I was so lucky! I don't relly even get to have much of a Yule Celeberation this year. The folks are coming up and they're...um...not Pagan. :eek:

Lisa

18. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Lisa -

My mother-in-law's OK with it, but I don't advertise the fact with my family...

19. HeavyDuty,

We told our family years ago, but they have pretty much forgotten all about it. My youngest daughter is the only one that actually acknowldeges and totally accepts it...I knew I raised her right! :D

That's okay though, we pretty much make allowances for our moms, and they're usually not here for Yule, so we generally get to celebrate before their arrival. This year, my mom is coming early, so I'll sneak ina candle or two...she'll mever notice!

Congrats on the new bass! It's sweet! My bass buying days are over...my hubby is building my next bass, but it won't be ready until next year.

Blessed Be!

Lisa

20. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thank you! What's he building for you - sounds exciting!