Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WOO HOOO! christmas in february. sort of

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Feb 17, 2005.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, today i received the beautiful jerzy drozd 7 string bass that i'm going to review for tb (and other places). a couple weeks ago i received the ritter 7 string that was on display at jens' namm booth. both are really amazing beautiful instruments. i can't wait to review them.

what's going to happen is i'm going to put them through their paces by themselves, with my drummer, and live at an open mic with a rapper friend of mine (just me and him). i'm going to review each of them as objectively as i can as to electronics, workmanship, setup, materials quality, etc. and also subjectively with my take on them as a 7+ stringer for twelve years now - the things that i look for in an instrument, the things that i like personally, and things that i like about these instruments that i had not seen before, or not thought of before. i intend on posting recordings of the instruments in mp3 form and maybe even small wav files, and i'll be putting pics up using a very good digital camera (that will arrive next monday heh).

i'm sure you're asking "why are you doing this?" well, because there's no other resource for folks who want to get a custom instrument. both of these instruments are from european companies, and would be rarely seen in the states, if at all. the other instruments i will be reviewing might be custom shops that don't have standing inventory to try out. i intend and hope that these reviews will work together to provide a viable buyer's guide for extended range instruments from high-end/custom builders. oh, and i will be reviewing only 7 string instruments. i consider this the gateway to the extremely extended range instruments, with 7's having certain specific issues coming into play that are not evident, or not as pronounced at least, on instruments with fewer strings, but become more important as the number of strings goes up.

i intend on doing a bass every month (getting a jump start on march heh) and i have a couple of luthiers already lined up to send me instruments down the road. if any of our luthiers here on the boards want to get in line, and are able to build 7 string instruments, i would be honored to put your bass through its paces.

i'm not going to pull any punches in these reviews, i will most likely find something bad or negative with every instrument, and even if they are nitpicks or subjective, i will definitely list them. i will be honest with how relevant whatever flaws i find are, at least to me, too. i am not getting paid by anyone, and i have no agenda - that's why there's no conklin in the first few basses. many folks know that i have affiliations with conklin guitars, but i want these reviews to be percieved as unbiased. i will without a doubt review a conklin 7 but that will be down the road, and it will not be one of my personal instruments.

so there you have it. if anyone has any questions or suggestions for this, post away. :)

p.s. by doing these reviews i am not trying to claim or insinuate that i am some kind of expert. i am just going to use my experience to help me judge the viability of these instruments, and i want to share it.

i'll have some preliminary pics of the two instruments i have to review atm up in this thread asap. :hyper:

oh, and atlanta guys, you know what to do :)

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    *coolest job in the world*

Good work JT - this looks like it will be an interesting year for some cool reviews. Will they be posted as threads for discussion, or in a separate section of TB?

3. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i want the reviews to be viable archives, so i'm going to lock them, but i'm going to start a thread about each one for the discussion, and i will link to that thread in each review.

oh, and i will be putting them up in the basses forum, unless a better place comes around for them :ninja:

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I thought there was already a secret "invite only" ERB forum here.. :confused: ;)

Sounds like it will be awesome. Hopefully the first one will be up when I get back from my sojourn. I am interest in the Jerzy basses because the custom 6 I have looks visiually so similar (although I imagine the sound is very different).

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, the first review is the ritter. the jerzy is going up some time near the middle or end of march. actually the ritter review should be coming in a week or two. gotta get on the stick

6. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    You are embarking on a great task. :p

Hmm. *stares* Where do you live?

7. JT you are the man...and your bass playing is fantastic...I look forward to hearing your reviews!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sweet deal.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh. well thank you :).

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh. i live out west of the city about 4 miles outside the perimeter - mableton. i've hosted the atlanta bassist get togethers before at my house (i actually started them there), i think i will do some more soon.

11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    You should come live by me, and let me play your basses... A lot... Now....

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!!!!!!!!! MOVEMOVEMOVEMOVEMOVEMOVEMOVEMOVEMOVEMOVEMOVE!!!!!!!!!!

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Good to hear JT! Not sure if you're aware, but I've been working on some reveiws for the site myself, so things should be getting pretty interesting on the ole front page before too long. I'm interested to see how your pieces turn out. ;)

13. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Not only one but TWO fantastic basses...DAMN! What'd ya sell a kidney or a lung?...Good deal, can't wait for the results...

~S~

PS: What will you be running them through?

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    JT, I think this is a great undertaking! IMO, one person reviewing each instrument will provide a more consistent opinion based on more thorough research than any of us have done. And, while I'm partial to Jerzy Drozd (and a few other luthiers), I've never played Ritter, Nordstrand, Brubaker, Knuckle, and many more. I'm also interested in reading your take on other luthiers whose instruments I have played.

This will be interesting. But, one request: can you make it more frequently? One per month is gonna drive me nuts! :D

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    TalkBass.com is tops in the online bass world and this seals it.

16. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I agree

17. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I see I am going to be making a trip to See you soon. I have been dying to play both of those basses. I love Atlanta. :D

B Easy
    Myron

18. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    No, I'm asking why aren't I doing this :D

19. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Or 'how can I get to do this?"

20. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Good luck with it, John .... I don't think most people realize how much work it is to take on this type of project, and how much you can put your reputation at risk by being open and truthful. I regularly write reviews for a non-bass related (art) magazine that have a tendancy to be critical (where and when called for) at times .... you can definitely p*ss off a lot of people.

Most of us will just think, "wow, isn't JT lucky to be able to play all of these great basses for free". I, for one, fully understand the challanges of this type of undertaking, so thanks for continuing to share your knowledge with us :)

:bag: ... and, oh yeah, if Jerzy's bass should happen to "get mis-placed" and somehow end up at the Jersey shore, well, that'll just be our little secret ... :bag: