Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woo! I just got my conklin GT7 today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Woooo!
    Got off the phone with Smith, I'm getting two funkmaster-esk strings sets for this. :)

Attached Files:

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Congrats!!! Nice looking top on that one!!

:hyper:

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Yeah, it's a tad neck heavy, but I don't care. It's suprisingly easy to play. I've had trouble with 6ers, but this plays like a breeze!

4. It's a nice bass, i've heard it. Those high notes just ring out......beautiful.

5. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    Nice bass for a great player! If you become as accomplished on that as you do on the 4 string, you should sell all your gear and order a custom conklin! Have fun!

6. Yes yes, Will is a little bit good on bass to say the least.........he was teaching me stuff across the net. :bassist:

7. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    +1 he could be the next JT... maybe a triple neck conklin? 14 string, 7 string, fretless 7 string. hmmm thats a great idea...

8. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    Id really love to get one, but funds dont permit it! How are you going to tune it? BEADGCF?

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Yeh. I'm going to order a few sets of strings for it monday. Smith is fulfilling my Funkmaster fetish with an uber light 7 string. I just need to figure out how to adjust this monster of a neck. I've dealt with two truss rods before, but these have different thingies. Also, I'm thinking of refinishing it. Was thinking solid white, but the quilt top is so purdy. I'm thinking a transparent blue dye now.

10. blue dye w/ gold hardware would be sweet IMO

11. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Whoa...

Congrats, that's in a league of it's own ;)

12. Does this mean you'll give me your thumb? :D

13. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Congrats. Maybe one day I'll step out of my comfort zone and get something with more than 5 strings.... :smug:

14. Congrats. I love my GT7, it really opened up chordal playing on the bass for me and I tuned it BEADGBE like a guitar.

I've since converted it to an 8 and tune it BEADGCEA.

Really like the flame on yours!

15. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I loved your conversion with the inlay. And, thanks :)

16. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Welcome to the GT club Whafrodamus. Funny how every Gt-7 has a different figuring, one could collect them. :D

17. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Don't tempt me.

18. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Takes a big man to tackle a 7. I read how much you waited for that glad your happy with it.

19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congrats!

Just today I tried out a used Conklin 7-string (I don't know what model) at a local music store. What an amazing instrument. It was much easier to play than I expected.

....And I just told my wife I didn't plan on buying any more gear. Yeah, right!

Enjoy, :cool: -Art