Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woo, it's my birthday.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Now, I'm going to scratch another bass of the "Basses I need before I die" list, a fender MIM Jazz Which I can get for 399. My dad's going to sell his 1962ish Fender Deluxe Reverb guitar amp that he doesn't use too, which will help on the little modifications that I'll do (Badass bridge, new paintjob, control plate, warmoth neck, etc). I'm also buying an Ampeg 4x10 (I can't decide on which model). I'm also going to buy a rackmount equalizer (31 band) because right now I only have a 3 band on my Sansamp RBI. Now, bass wise.. Any other recommendations other than a MIM Jazz?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Godin Freeway. Hands down way better than a Fender jazz. Or a Godin SD but they dont make em anymore. And 399 isnt a great price for a MIM fender, especialy if you;'d be modding it. Id try to find one used in good condition.

3. rather than moddin a MIM jazz with new hardware and a warmoth neck. why not build up a wormoth bass? you'd end up with a smashing bass, and by building it you'd learn a helluva lot about how basses work

Tom

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Because they cost a lot more.

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Learning how basses work isn't an issue. I know how they work, I'm just looking for a cool fender. Warmoths are a LOT more expensive.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do you have a spending budget? Can you afford to buy and mod an MIA fender? A used one can be landed for arond $500-$600. Really though, ebay, mint or near mint. Its a savior. But if you want to buy a new one, if you try em out and find one that feels/sounds nice, MIMs are nice. I just wouldnt buy a used one bc the quality is skippy. But i love maple fretboards so i would want to save up for a MIA but thats me.

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I usually don't have a small budget, but I'm also getting that Ampeg 410HLF which will run me 700$. I actually think I'm goin to save up for the Warwick FNA LTD 2004 or Infinity LTD 2000 (take me a while ;-p)

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well if you are saving up for a new bass, i dont think it would be wise to buy one now. It will only hinder your process of saving up money.i would buy soemthing that you would be satisfied with. I dont see why anyone would have GAS for a MIM fender if they owned, say, a G & L 2000 or a MIA Fender.

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'm not GASing :p.. Plus, I own a Ric 4003.. Even if I want a MIM, that's just indigestion :p