Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woo! Sold my Rush albums!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 22, 2002.

1. I'm sure this is going to make Nino, JT, and many others sob like little girls, but I sold my entire Rush collection to SecondSpin (except for Different Stages, which I gave to my brother). I got $38 for 11 albums, which isn't a bad haul considering that the jewel cases for a bunch of them were in pretty bad shape.

I can't say that I really detest anything about Rush except the vocals and lyrics; even Peart's unbelievably overdone drumming is both technically impressive and (at times) very musical. It's just that listening to Rush just brings back too many bad adolescent memories of sitting in my room and wondering why the world hated me. Now, I'm profiting from divesting myself of teenage angst! Yay capitalism! :D

I'm not really interested in playing like Geddy either--he got me into playing but then I got into guys like Tony Levin and Anthony Jackson, who I consider equally virtuosic but much more nuanced players--so I'm not going to miss having Rush stuff around to practice.

2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    You shoulda' sold em off Ebay,you could of gotten alot more.

Did anybody ever tell you that ya look like Carson Daly?

3. 1. eBay's a pain for small items.

2. I most certainly do not look like Carson Daly, in that I don't resemble an evil elf (except for the ears), and I don't have women swarming me. I think it's an aftereffect from having listened to too much Rush.

4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Well,in the picture you do.But alot of people look different than they do in their pictures.

Whats wrong with woman swarming over you?;)

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    not me, but i am curious what happened to make you go from someone with a rush nickname to a rush hater in so short a time.

neil not answer your fan mail? :p

EDIT(JT) : spelling. duh.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    cooties

7. I actually hadn't listened to them much in over two years, and only kept the name analogkid9 because I had used that as my old AIM screen name. (I also was under the possibly mistaken impression that only Supporting Members could change their logins.)

Anyhow, I went through and listened to all of my Rush albums a couple times last semester, and discovered that the Stuerm und Drang that had enchanted me as a 14-year-old no longer had any appeal. I can't say that I actively hate Rush (except for Peart's juvenile philosophizing), but given their aforementioned association with adolescent angst and self-pity, I can't help but be somewhat pleased to see all those CDs go.

8. Have you ever had cooties, Brad? They take years to go away! They just get worse and worse! Every time you see a girl, they just start acting up even more!

:D

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't know about that. some of the topics of the songs of the past decade where pretty subtle and astute in execution.

then again, there's "Everyday glory" :rolleyes: :p

still, though, whatever floats your boat.

10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Mebbe you should've kept them. I've kept all the lps, cassettes, and cds I've ever owned (a lot...I'm almost 40 now), and at times I've looked at a batch of stuff from some previous time in my life and cringed. Later, I'd pull it out and enjoy a rediscovery of sorts. It's a timing thing. People who obsess of things tend to reject them at some point with equal fervor, I think.

I'd not listened to Rush much in the last 5 or 6 years, and recently got the Chronicles DVD, which sparked a new interest. Now I want a Rick...

11. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    WHAT?? How could you? I could see one selling a collection of very bad music, but this is Rush we are talking about. What's the deal? I could see if you just really didn't like this type of music, but you could still learn something from Geddy's amazing technique and basslines.

......... well, to each his own. But I must say, I believe his phiosophy and writings are beautiful. And have changed my life. To say juvenile is a bit much, I think objectionable is a wiser choice. I really feel sad that his lyrics haven't touched you the way they have me and many others.

I can definately say that I've lost all of what respect I had for you.:meh:

12. You're still in high school, eh? I was a huge Ayn Rand fan when I was a junior in high school.

You'll grow out of it.

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I want to sell my Primus collection...

14. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga

I'll buy it for $20

Assuming that you have all of their cd's.

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    missing "suck on this" and "miscellaneous Debris"

but im not selling them over the internet, sorry dude

PS: im not derrailing the thread... just making notice of a band I used to love and have most of their albums that nowadays I dont listen as much... on topic with what Pete is talking about

16. 2. I most certainly do not look like Carson Daly, in that I don't resemble an evil elf (except for the ears), and I don't have women swarming me. I think it's an aftereffect from having listened to too much Rush.

Don't forget Pete, you are also not the biggest tool the world has ever seen. Gives you another advantage.

17. Forgive me Pete, but to me, that sounds like you are saying that only certain types of music are "sufficient" at an adult age.

Oh, and regarding the high school thing and feeling bad: You obviously don't realize that some people, according to brain chemical malfunction and dopamine receptors, handle it differently. So just be careful. More people suffer from this than you realize.

18. I'm not talking about Rush's music there--it just doesn't float my boat.

I'm talking about Ayn Rand's (and by extension Neil Peart's) poisonous philosophy, which thankfully begins to lose its appeal very quickly after one's 16th or 17th birthday. I appreciate some of the things she says about the inherent human desire toward mediocrity and all that, but her complete dismissal of communitarianism and disregard for the concept of social goods simply cannot hold up under scrutiny.

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio