Woo! Spiderlings hatched today!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Apr 23, 2003.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London

One of our trantula's was mated some time back and laid an egg late Jan'. Since it did, we've watched the eggsac grow from the diameter and hieght of a 2p coin (pounds sterling) to the diamter and hieght of a golf ball.

Finally today when we checked it the egg casing was broke and some nifty 'lil spiderlings were crawling out and clinging to the roofing of the mothers burrow.

I'll bag some photo's tomorow if we can get the digi cam up and running!
  2. man, how anyone could raise spiders for enjoyment is way beyond me....but if thats what floats your boat, cool. :cool:
  3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Aw, you don't have to do that...no really, please don't. I'm glad it makes you happy, but after the description of the growing egg sack I'm feeling a little woozy...
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Well... atleast you aren't having your own children. ;)
  5. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Thats awesome. Trantulas are the coolest.
  6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Don't listen to him! Get the pics up!!!!!!
  7. So, a guy that uses the nick Creepy...gets woozy over some spiders? :D

Yah, get the pics up. I'd like to get another gecko, or a millipede. Something neato/unusual
  8. The scariest thing happened to me today, I was down on my computer and then i feel something crawling on my arm and I look and there is a big white spider crawling down my arm. Of course I scream like a little girl swatting my self while running away. Man I almost had a heart attack at 17, Phew.
  9. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I totally dig on this, post pics as soon as possible.

Oh Yea, Congrats.
  10. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    A white spider? Wow, Never seen one of those...
  11. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Pics!! Pics!! :cool:
  12. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    That's awesome Yoshi, congrats...

Of course you haven't seen COOL 'til you have Scorplings :D My huge female Black Emperor had 22 of 'em 6 months ago. Talk about odd... live birth, they come out looking like little white grubs & climb up on Mom's back for a few months.

BTW, don't be surprised if Mom eats a few... Just the way it goes, bro. :)

13. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you're NUTS! heheheh

millipedes and scorpions are cool. one el-coolio thingy about scorpions is that their exoskeleton glows all weird and stuff under black lights. neat effect.
  14. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Spiderlings, Scorplings...

Are they the actual terms for baby spiders & scorpions?
  15. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    This thread reminds me of a documentary I saw on South American tribes where an entire segment was devoted to how tarantulas are considered a delicacy. The men would catch the spiders, impale them on a stick and roast them in an open fire. Then they'd squeeze the purplish/greenish contents of the abdomen into some kind of leaf and eat it like stuffed grape leaves. Then they'd eat the remaining legs/head/thorax like a piece of fried chicken, lickin' their fingers and such. Oh my Lord, it was one of the most vile things i have ever seen. Sure it seems perfectly normal to them though... *shudder* Man, that gives me the willies.
  16. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Western society has made it that way. To the tribe in Africa, its normal. In Asia, food is completely different. The innards of fish and animals is eaten as much as the "regular" meat. Its all a matter of culture.

I bet if those tribes saw you eating a cheeseburger, they would think its really friggin wierd too.
  17. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    man, spiders and other little "small" creatures scare the crap out of me! they are just to small to shoot with a .40

:D ;)
  18. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    No doubt they are perfectly used to eating spiders and love the delicious, hirsute goodness that is the flame-roasted arachnid. I commend their culture's well-rounded diet and I especially like how they use the spider's fangs as a toothpick afterwards.

I, on the other hand, am kind of put off by gigantic spiders and prefer to keep them away from my mouth. But if you live in the jungles of South America, I say go for it! Bon appetit!

Your point is well taken, though, Nick.

19. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

If I am ever in one of those areas, I will try that spider thing once. I have told my self that I will always try any food at least one time. I have tried everything I have had the opportunity to try so far, haven't let myself down yet. You only live once;)
  20. I would tend to agree with you. I haven't checked lately, but, aren't spiders and crabs cousins somewhere along the evolutionary line?

Crabs = spiders
    shrimp & lobster = silverfish
    Eel = snake

Anyone want to get some Alaskan King crab legs? :p