Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wood choices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Aug 15, 2001.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    i was wondering, do any of you know what kind of tone a maple body, with a padauk top , would give? what are some good wood combinations, and the tones that are associated with each?
    thanks

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    alder worked fine for jaco.

3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    lmao

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Just because something worked for Jaco doesn't mean it will work for everyone else.

I'm sure that Jaco would've sounded like Jaco on a Rogue.

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    well of course. there are a variety of tones you get out of even using only one wood. There are a lot of variables to consider. I've never looked into woods. I don't think i'll get a custom bass for a while.

6. not sure myself on tone vs wood types, but i think www.warmoth.com has some info on woods and the types of tones from them, check it out.
    eddie:D

7. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Who cares what it sounds like as long as it looks exotic and expensive!:D

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    who cares what it looks like if it sounds exotic and expensive?

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    What if you don't want a sound that's exotic and "expensive"? ;)

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Since the Warmoth page doesn't cover padauk - On paper, the maple/padauk combination would sound good, IMO.

The maple would give solid, articulate lows, and bright, crisp, highs, assuming that we're talking about hard northern maple.

Padauk is the poor man's rosewood. Some makes have switched to it with the increasing scarcity and price of S. American rosewoods and the demand on E. Indian rosewood. Apparently, it's an acceptable, (not great), substitute for the classic rosewoods. It would make up for the maple's weak points - mids and warmth.

Here's a link to see one maker's take on various woods. Note his statement at the very top about the subjectivity involved here http://www.melanconforum.com/wood page.htm