1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wood choices

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by braz_b2, Mar 30, 2009.

1. braz_b2

braz_b2

Mar 17, 2009
    im starting a build this summer. The question is.. what's a dark wood that would be good for the body.. Rose wood? also i prefer something thats not gonna break my wallet. something real dark.. maybe even red

thanks

2. try Google and sites like lmii, Warmoth.. really, you could find a lot out on the internet and you learn something of it too! Also, you get to see a lot of basses, which gives you inspiration on shapes, materials, woods etc.. etc...

And a nice dark body wood? Wengé! (But you might use it as a top only, because its weight).

3. Walnut perhaps...? It's going in my single cut bass, the body is Alder and walnut, with a buckeye burl top (if i can get it) or Flamed maple.

4. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I'd say go for a cheap body tonewood, then just pop a nice veneer on it.

Koa, cocobolo, something like that.

5. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    well, ash and a nice walnut top is always appreciated. and is damn fine too.

6. Mahoganey is a fine wood with great tone and is pretty dark but no grain.

7. braz_b2

braz_b2

Mar 17, 2009
    I want a really warm tone.. i looked at warmoth.com and it said that rosewood has a real warm tone.. would it be too heavy thought?

8. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    for body woods...warm tone = mahogany
    alder is good, too.
    Also, how the wood is finished will affect tone. You seal it up with a thick, glass-like finish...you may have just eliminated the tone-value. Consider picking the "right" wood for you, then doing an oil-wax or oil-varnish finish. The influence of the the tone-wood may come through a bit more.
    Rosewood has a warm tone for fret/fingerboards. That is a good choice.
    Talk to builders, they have a lot of experience in this area.

9. braz_b2

braz_b2

Mar 17, 2009
  10. braz_b2

braz_b2

Mar 17, 2009
    also.. though its off topic of this thread... what would a good set of pickups that would go with the warm tone of the body.

11. Hi bb2,

Those rosewood tele's have a reputation for being heavy. And rosewood is not cheap.

As a further thought....

Veneer is one way to go. Or ash with a good dye job, perhaps. Or rosewood. It should be pretty.

edg