Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wood! Cocobolo, goncalo alves, ash

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Taylor Livingston, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Hi! I've got some very nice wood that I won't be using, so I thought I'd offer it to you nice ladies and gentleman.

First, I have a nice wide cocobolo fingeroard blank. It measures

27 1/4" by
    4 1/4" by
    3/8"

That should be enough for a 6-string, and maybe even a 7. One side is mostly reds and oranges, and the other is more of a chocalate brown with a few small purple streaks.

$35 plus shipping should do it.

[​IMG]

2. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Next, I have 2 sets of goncalo alves facings. One is figured, the other isn't. They would make an excellent top and back.

The figured set has "plum pudding" figure. This is pretty unusual. It looks very smooth from certain angles, but when you turn it, the grains pop out, creating this really textured look.

The coloring of both is predominantly tan and brown, with a peachy tint. I'm telling you this since I know color comes across pretty different from one monitor to the next.

They are both

22" by
    15 3/4"

The figured set is about 1/4" thick, and the unfigured set is about 3/8" thick.

$40 for the figured, $30 for the unfigured, plus shipping.

Here's the figured, smooth.

[​IMG]

3. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Here it is shown from an angle that shows the popping grain.

[​IMG]

4. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Here's the ash. Not much to look at, but a great tonewood. It's hard ash, not swamp ash. Hard/northern ash is heavier than swamp ash (but not as heavy as maple), or so they say. This piece isn't very heavy. It has a brighter sound than swamp, but not quite as bright as maple.

This piece has a cut in it around where you'd want to saw it in half to make the two wings. It's not in the middle, it's a bit offset. It's pretty small (about 3/4"), I don't think it'll be big deal. It also has some crumble going on on one edge. I don't know what to call it, but if you're interested, I have pictures of both the cut and the crumble. E-mail me. I don't want to use up more TB bandwidth on it.

As it has these imperfections, I'm not sure what to ask. Make me an offer, I'll accept anything reasonable.

It measures

35 3/4" by
    5" by
    1 3/4"

[​IMG]

5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Would you ship to France??

Maybe one of the GA tops for me...

Peace, JP

6. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    I'll send you a pm.

7. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    The unfigured GA top has been sold. Fingerboard, ash, and figured GA top are still available.

:)

8. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    This wood is internationally sought after, folks. Get it while supplies last! JP and I made a nice deal, and I can do the same for interested people (particularly if you want more than one piece).

9. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Another bump. I know these aren't good pictures, but this is beautiful stuff.