1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WOOD COMBINATION FOR P OR P/J BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j.s.basuki, Feb 14, 2002.

1. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I am thinking of getting a P/J bass, could anyone suggest which wood combination is better:
    Alder body with rosewood finger board or
    Ash with maple board.
    Thanks.

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Alder/Rosewood warmer.

Ash/Maple brighter.

Depends on what you're after....and.....individual basses will vary somewhat anyway, so get out and play some. Have fun.

3. I like ash with rosewood. Thats what my Warmoth bass is going to be.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Body wood makes a major contribution to tone; the fingerboard veneer makes a subtle contribution at best.

Anyway: alder tends to have a bigger sound, more bottom... perhaps a bit more sibilance on top. Ash tends to have sweet mids, both presence and punch. That's my experience. As MJB said, there's a lot of variation even within the same species.

5. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

What manufacturer were you thinking of going with.. I prefer the alder w/ rosewood combination which is what I have with my Sadowsky PJ-5... Very warm and big... Steven..

6. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    :D You know who .

Can you show me your P/J 5 pics? I am still torn between 4 or 5 strings too. I am used to 4 right now. Basuki

7. SCT1422

Hey J.S. I don't have any pics, but if you look on the Sadowsky website my PJ-5 is #3689 in the sold section.. The only difference is it now has gold hardware... Steven...

8. SCT1422

By the way... Corner Music in Nashville might still have a PJ-5 in stock.. Try (www.cornermusic.com)..
    J.D. runs the Bass Department and is a hell of a nice guy... Steven...

9. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    :D

:( is sold . Thanks, I'll talk to Roger.

10. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Your bass look awesome! Congratulation!
    :D :D :D

11. I ordered my Sadowsky PJ-4 with a rosewood 'board, alder body, and spalted maple top (top is for looks; it won't affect the tone much as it's less than 1/4" thick).