Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WOOD COMBINATION FOR P OR P/J BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j.s.basuki, Feb 14, 2002.

1. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I am thinking of getting a P/J bass, could anyone suggest which wood combination is better:
    Alder body with rosewood finger board or
    Ash with maple board.
    Thanks.

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Alder/Rosewood warmer.

Ash/Maple brighter.

Depends on what you're after....and.....individual basses will vary somewhat anyway, so get out and play some. Have fun.

3. I like ash with rosewood. Thats what my Warmoth bass is going to be.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Body wood makes a major contribution to tone; the fingerboard veneer makes a subtle contribution at best.

Anyway: alder tends to have a bigger sound, more bottom... perhaps a bit more sibilance on top. Ash tends to have sweet mids, both presence and punch. That's my experience. As MJB said, there's a lot of variation even within the same species.

5. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

What manufacturer were you thinking of going with.. I prefer the alder w/ rosewood combination which is what I have with my Sadowsky PJ-5... Very warm and big... Steven..

6. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    :D You know who .

Can you show me your P/J 5 pics? I am still torn between 4 or 5 strings too. I am used to 4 right now. Basuki

7. SCT1422

Hey J.S. I don't have any pics, but if you look on the Sadowsky website my PJ-5 is #3689 in the sold section.. The only difference is it now has gold hardware... Steven...

8. SCT1422

By the way... Corner Music in Nashville might still have a PJ-5 in stock.. Try (www.cornermusic.com)..
    J.D. runs the Bass Department and is a hell of a nice guy... Steven...

9. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    :D

:( is sold . Thanks, I'll talk to Roger.

10. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Your bass look awesome! Congratulation!
    :D :D :D

11. I ordered my Sadowsky PJ-4 with a rosewood 'board, alder body, and spalted maple top (top is for looks; it won't affect the tone much as it's less than 1/4" thick).