1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wood drying out on Relic'd basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Hello, I recently bought a Fender 60's jazz bass off the TB classifieds and had a question about how it's relic'd.

On the bass, there's areas where not only is the paint rubbed off, but the nitro/poly/coating is worn off too so that there is naked wood. Usually these are just in small spots, but the wood appears to be rough and unfinished, is this something to worry about?

I'm wondering if I should do some "touch ups" and put some kind of coating on these spots to make sure the bass doesn't dry up, but really I have no idea what to do. Could someone help?

Thanks!

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Possibly Howard Feed-N-Wax Wood Preserver.

Available at your local Home Depot for about $3.00 or so if I remember. A bottle will last you forever.

Also works great for Rosewood necks, etc. Put it on... leave it for 20 mins or so... wipe off. Protected, not stained, and a decent citrus'y smell.

Others might have other options. This is what I've found is inexpensive and works well for me.

(Coincidentally just got done doing my whole Schecter Studio 5 with it, and currently doing a fret touch-up on my OLP and then it will get an application of it. I usually apply it about every 6 months or so.)