1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wood dust to color wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by gbarcus, Oct 1, 2010.

1. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Minneapolis & St.Paul, MN
    Owner of Barcus Basses barcusbasses.com
    I've been tinkering with using fine dust from one type of wood to color another. For example, fine padauk dust to color ash, then seal it in with something.
    Any of you try this type of thing?
    Any tricks you have found getting an even color?

2. I don't think this would work all that well without some careful prep. Fine dust will not only fill the most prominent grain, but also the smallest grain - so that padauk on ash would really look pink.

Having made a few necks with padauk & maple, it certainly looks pink on maple, which has WAY more subtle pores than ash.

Maybe if you sealed a bit first to seal off the small pores, then applied a slurry of some sort rather than dry dust, you might get the effect you're looking for. More like a traditional grain fill.

3. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Minneapolis & St.Paul, MN
    Owner of Barcus Basses barcusbasses.com
    Yeah, I'm finding that it is a lot of work, as not only do you fill in grain, but any sanding marks too.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The padauk pink can be turned to padauk red-brown, with one day in full summer sun. Example is in my build thread, on maybe the third or fourth page.

5. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    A very interesting concept enjoy experimenting with it. When I wet sand my laminated necks the woods colors do blend, less so if I wait until the last coat or 2 though. I like using the effect with Mahogany or Black Limba necks with Wenge stringers for instance.t

6. chiselhead

chiselhead

Mar 18, 2009
    Knox, New York
    I tried putting black walnut dust on a fresh coat of varnish over an ash body. The experiment failed miserably and I ended up resanding back to bare wood and proceeding from there without the black walnut dust. If I had used a quicker drying finish, and been able to put on more coats and dustings,and done more between coat sandings, the experiment might have been more successful. I just lost patience with the proccess.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021