1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wood Dye

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassksun, Aug 11, 2007.

1. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Does anyone know of a technique I can use to dye lumber through and through?

Preferably without a vacuum system.

Thanks Much

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Larry Davis at Gallery has put a lot of money and effort into this. He has to throw some pretty serious equipment at it so it doesn't seem like the type of thing someone could do at home.

3. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Ahhh well.

TX!

4. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Just curious as to why? :)

5. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    One of the next projects is a blue bass. Cuz thats what the "customer" wants. My problem is this:

Curly maple top dyed blue.

If I dye the wood and then attach to the core-rounding over will remove the dyed edge.

-OR-

Cut and final shape and round over the maple-dye it then attach to the core. I guess the round over will be at a different radius than the core.

The last option is the best I could come up with.

:help:

6. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Glue top on first then shape. Mask and seal the side where you don't want dye. Reverse the masking tape to the sealed side of the line and dye the top.

7. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I've found Transtint aniline dyes (available through www.homesteadfinishing.com ) great for dying blotch-prone species like maple.

Does your customer want only the maple face to be blue? If not, I'd complete my glue-up and shaping, and then dye the whole body.

If they want a two-tone bass (with only the maple top dyed blue), you can seal the entire instrument after glue-up and shaping, mask off and shoot a blue-tinted clear coat over just the maple; then unmask and clear the entire body.

Another alternative would be to temporarily affix the maple top to the body blank while shaping (hot glue, two-faced tape...), them remove the maple top and dye it separately - after it's been shaped. One conspicuous challenge with this method will be gluing the dyed maple top in exactly the correct position after it's been shaped - wouldn't be my first choice.

Please let us know what you decide to do!

8. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    This seems like a reasonable way. I am concerned about cavitation...where the dye seeps under the masking tape.

The idea of temporarily affixing would be good. But what is strong enough while I route???

One idea is to make a template. Cut and roundover. Dye the top; apply a wash of oil or poly then glue up.

What do you think?

Transtint are the only dyes I use.

Thanks for the input

9. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    I think the next project will use a red burst dye. :)

10. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    If the wood is sealed under the masking tape you should be good. Apply the second mask before you remove the first. (but joint). I would also spray the dye. The glue line will/should stop any internal creep. :)

11. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Good Advice!

12. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I remember reading that Fender tried injecting living Beech trees with dye. I guess it worked, but did not catch on?

13. Any references to this? Is the intention to make naturally occuring Candy Apple Red or 3 tone sunburst wood?

imp

14. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    I didn't knew that Fender use beech for their guitars?

15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    News to me also.

16. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The 'Wildwood' series from the '60s... Coronado's I believe...

-robert

17. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    +1