Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wood Facing Search.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ErikP.Bass, Jan 5, 2005.

1. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I will be purchasing a custom bass in the near future and am trying to pick a wood facing. Everything else has been pretty much chosen. Here are a few specs for the curious : Body - Mahogany (most likely) or Spanish Cedar (possibly). Pickups - Bartolini Jazz. Preamp - Aguilar OBP-3. Fretboard - Morado / Pau Ferrao.

First, I would like to say I realize this is purely a cosmetic issue.
    Background of My Taste : I tend to favor a conservative look (currently own Swamp Ash - Amber finish) but am interested in viewing more exotics (owned a Corvette Standard - Bubinga (fairly plain exotic if it can be considered that). Don't really like Quilted, Burled or Birdseye types...Prefer a lighter facing wood to contrast with the fretboard.

Now to the point : Just wondering if anyone can reccomend sites for viewing woods - suppliers etc. I have looked quite a bit and from what I have gathered pieces vary greatly (color misrepresentations, varying species etc.) and it is best to see the individual piece before choosing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Yes I have considered no facing at all.

2. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    lmii.com

3. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    +1 for LMI. Also, Ken Smith's site has a lot of wood examples on it. He sells wood, too, I think. Also, you might want to look at galleryhardwoods.com. Give Larry a call and tell him what you are looking for. He can help you out for a reasonable price. Hope this helps.

4. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Thanks Guys. Those two sites are great....I have no idea how I missed the selection on the Ken Smith homepage. It couldn't be more obvious.
    I have looked on Gallery Hardwoods and it has some great pics but as you say it is best to speak with Larry. I sent him a few e-mails about the woods on the page but most had been sold...he sent me a few pics of others but it is really hard to browse in that fashion. It is too bad though, I hear he has a great variety of woods in stock....but what an enormous task to update a website with pics of your stock. :confused:
    Great, friendly and quick e-mail responses though! :)
    Speaking of stock....those pics of Ken Smith's inventory are impressive!

Still Searchin'...

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Go to my site, then to "custom models", then to "woods".

http://www.fbbcustom.com/

If you are fairly conservative why are you interested in the exotics? Most of the exotics appeal to people because of their look which is.... err.... exotic. Why not go down to your local hardwood dealer and see if you can find a nice looking piece of white ash?

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Secunding FBB!
    You may find exaclty what you are looking for in local wood, unless you have a special flare for just this or that exotism. Fact is, that many local woods will show exactly that 'exotic' feature you look for... esp. if 'local means 'US'. I mean, US is (the southern!) half of a continent!

And I can find exotic enough in tiny, northerly Sweden... :smug: