1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wood floor lacquer.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Linkert, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    How would that work on a fretless neck? The nice epoxy seems to be banned in Sweden for some reason..:confused: So i thought of wood floor lacquer. Its made to walk on so i guess its hard enough. Am i right?

2. Hi Linkert, your question is very ambigous, I would suggest you purchase a small amount of the product (quart or less if possible) and run some tests. Apply it per instructions and let it cure for 2 weeks, then try the fingernail indent test, press the edge of your fingernail against the finish and see if it makes much of a dent or barely a scratch. If it dents, it's probably not hard enough. I would suggest you apply several coats as thin as possible as this helps cure time and allows the finish to set harder.

3. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Now why didn't i think of that.. :smug:
    Thanks.

4. They put anti-scuff agents into wood floor lacquer to help prevent rubber heel marks, etc. This anti-scuff is a bit like a plasticiser, so the surface is very very slightly oily and softened - softer than the 'normal' product. You should not use it for guitars in my opinion.

5. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    What about CA (cyanoacrylate, super glue, etc. - call it what you want)? I've heard of people (tjclem) thinning this down and using it as a fingerboard coating.

6. I really LOVE this stuff. When used with great care, and applied in tiny amounts, the 'CA' will fill any ding quite well. Hard enough for fretboards? Definitely.. I have an old '92 Strat with a maple neck.. that crappy lacquer they used that year is brittle.. so I've made several repairs on the Fender using nothing more than 'CA'.. Once it is VERY cured and hard, a patient buffing and re-buffing using carnuba wax will eventually bring the spot repair flush with the surface.

7. +1 for CA: I've heard a lot of people really swear by it though I have still not found the correct type to use as a coating/sealer. What do you use to thin it down?

8. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    in the US you can buy CA with the consistancy of water...