Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wood for a neck-thru...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AAA, Jun 11, 2002.

1. AAA

AAA Guest

Jun 4, 2002
    Hey all -

I am thinking about buyin a new Carvin LB20 Fretless, and am just trying to decide what kinds of wood to be used. I'd like the tone to be clear and articulate but capable of giving some deeeep lows and strong low-mids.

I have been thinking about:

a 5-piece neck (3 maple, 2 walnut) with a walnut body.

a 5-piece neck (3 maple, 2 koa) with a koa body.

a 2-piece maple neck through a mahogany body.

How does mahogany compare?

Keep in mind that the Carvin will be a neck-thru with an ebony fingerboard...

I have never played on any of these woods so any information would be great!

Thanks-

- AAA

2. I like your first 2 choices.
    I think you'll get a nice big round fat Low/mid tone with the walnut bass.
    the Koa bass will probably give you more mid/lows. ;)
    if that makes sense.

from what I've read, mahogany is a lot like koa. pretty dominant in the mid department. where as walnut is more low mid.

the maple will help crispen up the top end.

my bass is;
    maple walnut 5 peice neck with a pau ferro fretboard through a zebrawood and ash body. it is a very aggresive, growlly, a real slap commander. I dont even have to slap and the thing spews forth funk. but I was talking to another guy (Gustomatic) who had a bass built by the same guy (Dave Pushic) who built mine and he used walnut instead of ash. and he got the tone I describe at the beginning. very round Low/mid type tone.

with woods you cant ever really tell excactly untill you play the finished product, but you can aim with what you know.

have fun, and keep us updated :)

3. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I like the first one best.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Your choices produce nuances I'm not sure I could hear.

Typically, mahogany (assuming it isn't Philippine mahog.) and koa are very "neutral" sounding woods that lean towards the "warm" side.

Walnut, being heavier and harder, will lean just a little towards the "bright" side.

I've had a Carvin with koa stringers. They really aren't substantial enough, (thin), to influence the sound perceptibly, IMO. The brightness and attack of the maple in the neck comes through, though.

Your mahogany and koa choices are so tonally close, I'd personally opt for the koa on the basis of snob appeal - koa gets rarer everyday and its bright, light brown, hues are prettier than mahogany, IMO.

The pups are important and I hope your going for the J99's.

5. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    I like your first choice best. IMO mahogany and koa sound "warmer" because their attack is slower than walnut, maple or ash. But they don't do as well with the fundamentals. I definitely think walnut body wings will get you more lows and low mids.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yeah, I'd go for the walnut. My koa fretless is too warm and pleasant sounding for my tastes. It's probably also the H50s.

P.S. subject line crack anyone else up? "sounds like a personal thing, to me"