Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wood-ish pups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bassism, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Hey,
    I was wondering if anyone knows how one would go about giving the pickups in a bass that "wood" appearance (if you know what I mean)
    I'm currently planning a 7 string that I would like to build, and this is one of the things I'm interested in.

Thanks,

2. As in from the covers of the ones you already have in there? That'd be hard, cause you'll probly want to melt or cut the pattern into the cover. Depending on the pups you might find you'll be able to make a set of covers yourself, then you'll have a woodlike appearance, very distinctly woodlike...

Josh D

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bump..this is interesting

4. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    I think JP makes wood grained epoxy PU covers...

5. I haven't built the bass yet. I'm planning on using Bartolini pickups, but I don't know if I want soapbars or if I want PJs.
    Making wooden pickup covers? Hmmm, I never thought of that.

6. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
  7. Thanks to everyone who has replied.
    I think I'll give this painting a try, although I'm not much of a painter.:p

Would a wooden pickup cover have to be made thinner than the plastic one to avoid degrading the sound quality?
    Are there any other things I should consider if I decide to make a wooden cover?

8. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Bartolinis aren't available without a cover, so you'll have to build super-thin wood covers, and you'll need to move the pickups away from the strings more, which causes loss of output.